Guest on my own computer

Reaction score
I let a friend onto my computer and she started messing around with the accounts.

First she made an admin account for herself, which would have been fine by itself, but then she turned my admin account into a guest account. Not a standard user, but a guest. I can't download anything and I can't access the settings at all.

She adamantly refuses to change it back so I have been on a dozen forums looking for answers and here is a list of things that I have tried:

1) I can't run the cmd as an admin

2) lusrmgr.msc which should allow me into user accounts directory tells me it may not be used with windows 10

3) like I said before, I cannot access the settings menu or download a fix-it program

4) 1-3 will not work in safe mode.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Thank you for your time

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I let a friend onto my computer and she started messing around with the accounts.
With friends like that .......
You might be able to rescue your computer by enabling the normally hidden / disabled Administrator account and use that to possibly fix the password problem on your local user account.
You'll need to boot from the installation media. If you do not have the installation media on hand you can download the ISO from here
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.
THEN...
Follow the steps outlined here
http://pureinfotech.com/2015/11/20/how-reset-windows-10-forgotten-password-regain-access-computer/

Reaction score
I didn't think that a guest account was available in Win 10, the options are Administrator and Standard user.
I believe you can change the accounts with the hidden Administrator account. You don't let friends like that on your PC and never give them your Admin password.

Reaction score
Thank you both for quick responses, however I can't download anything and I did find the code for activating the hidden Admin, but I can't access it without the cmd prompt running as an admin.

Also, I did not give her my password but did learn to never let ANYONE use my computer EVER again

Reaction score
That's not a friend if she refuses to give you her password, Yes! you need a password for the command prompt Admin. I appears that your only option now is to do as Trouble suggested above.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a non-administrator, you are not going to be able to do much of anything within the Operating System, that is why I posted my remarks above.
You have to boot from the installation media and then
You might be able to use the advanced troubleshooting options to perform a System Restore (if you're lucky enough to have one) to go back before she made those changes, or....
Use the steps in the link I posted to enable the hidden Admin account and then use that account to reverse her changes.

Ask a Question