Had a "Critical Process Died" error, now Windows Desktop loads incredibly slow

Reaction score
I installed Windows 10 about a week ago. I had a hiccup that System Restore fixed. Then the other day I was doing what I normal do, had some program and tabs open, when everything froze and I got a BSoD that said a "Critical Process Died". Now when I boot up, the desktop icons take forever to load. I can't click on or do anything, not even the Start Menu. If I let it run, all the icons eventually show up and then it tries to update my Steam client forever (which might be the culprit, I don't know) and then it just goes to a black screen.

I tried booting up in safe mode and I still get the same lag, and my primary monitor won't even display anything in that mode. I also tried doing a System Restore to 4 days ago but it doesn't fix the problem. I don't think I can get into Task Manager as nothing responds when it's loading on the icons. I don't know what else to do and I really don't want to format unless I absolutely have to. Are there any other ideas that I can try? Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Do you have any third party security suites installed?

Reaction score
yeah Bitdefender but it was working fine for days with that on. Anyway, it's a moot point now, Can't even get to the login screen, got a "Bad System Config Info" error now and I can't even use System Restore as the Restore points are now gone. PC Reset and PC Refresh also do nothing. Guess I'm formatting.

Ask a Question