CD/DVD drive is missing from device manager

Reaction score
When I updated my computer from windows 7 to windows 10, all of a sudden I don't seem to have a CD/DVD drive anymore. It shows up in the BIOS but not on the actual computer. I have tried to make sure the computers all plugged in correctly and it is. So what can I do to resolve this issue, and if there are so many problems with windows 10 why on earth allow have of the entire population download, especially when MICROSOFT should have thought of all the bugs and fixed them ahead of time. Its not fair to offer free upgrades, when its essentially a downgrade?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
MICROSOFT should have thought of all the bugs and fixed them ahead of time.
Very hard for anyone, even Microsoft to test every conceivable hardware configuration in advance.
Take your case for instance.... we have no idea what "my computer" even means. Is it a desktop? Is it a laptop, tablet, 2 in 1?
My best guess would be ( and it is only a guess) is that your optical drive may be using a different bus then your hard disk. In which case it is conceivable that you may need a chipset driver installed in order to support that bus architecture.

Have you checked device manager to see if it is showing up in there

devmgmt.JPG

Have you checked Disk Management to see if it is showing up in there?

diskmgmt.JPG

Reaction score
I checked my device manager and disk management. And it's not showing up in either. So I apologize for the rude remarks just frustrated what do I do now?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So I apologize for the rude remarks just frustrated
No apologies necessary, I really didn't even think of them as rude.
what do I do now?
IDK.... if the BIOS sees it but the Operating System doesn't and assuming there is nothing so unique about your optical drive that it requires its' own proprietary driver..., the only thing that comes to mind is the old UpperFilters Hack and see if that helps at all. It might be worth taking a look at
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/driverssupport/ht/upperfilters-lowerfilters.htm

Reaction score
I'm jumping into this thread, as I seem to have a similar experience. If that is inappropriate, or if there are no replies, I'll post a new thread. I have an Asus desk-top with an internal CD/DVD reader from Samsung. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. All (mostly) OK, except for the CD/DVD reader, which doesn't work. I've read about Microsoft dropping Windows Media. However, in my case, I seem to have the (new) Windows DVD player - but this doesn't work either. The main problem seems to be that the computer isn't recognising or listing the Samsung reader as drive (D), which is what it used to be.

I plugged in a USB as Drive (E) to compare and contrast. Drive (E) shows and works.

If I go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Disk Drives, both the Samsung and the USB are listed, so the computer must be aware of the Samsung device? On checking under the tabs in each case, all seems normal. On checking whether the Samsung reader is actually not broken and has the correct drivers installed, all tests passed.

If I then go to Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management, I get Drive (E) but no Samsung Reader.

Does anyone have ideas, diagnosis, comments, solutions? Preferably, solutions that don't involve me messing with the Registry.

If this problem is affecting many people, does anyone know the best way of reporting this to Microsoft and obtaining a definitive answer? As with other posters, it is nice to have the free upgrade, but it's pretty poor if it has such a basic flaw as non-operational CD/DVD readers?

Reaction score
I'm jumping into this thread, as I seem to have a similar experience. If that is inappropriate, or if there are no replies, I'll post a new thread. I have an Asus desk-top with an internal CD/DVD reader from Samsung. I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. All (mostly) OK, except for the CD/DVD reader, which doesn't work. I've read about Microsoft dropping Windows Media. However, in my case, I seem to have the (new) Windows DVD player - but this doesn't work either. The main problem seems to be that the computer isn't recognising or listing the Samsung reader as drive (D), which is what it used to be.

I plugged in a USB as Drive (E) to compare and contrast. Drive (E) shows and works.

If I go to Control Panel>Device Manager>Disk Drives, both the Samsung and the USB are listed, so the computer must be aware of the Samsung device? On checking under the tabs in each case, all seems normal. On checking whether the Samsung reader is actually not broken and has the correct drivers installed, all tests passed.

If I then go to Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management, I get Drive (E) but no Samsung Reader.

Does anyone have ideas, diagnosis, comments, solutions? Preferably, solutions that don't involve me messing with the Registry.

If this problem is affecting many people, does anyone know the best way of reporting this to Microsoft and obtaining a definitive answer? As with other posters, it is nice to have the free upgrade, but it's pretty poor if it has such a basic flaw as non-operational CD/DVD readers?

I think you are right, it is pretty poor putting out a free product that does not work. I will try Microsoft through mt subscription account and post any info I get.

Reaction score
Not all DVD drives are alike as far as compatibility. If the drives are fairly new, they should work. Some older drives, like ones you had prior to Windows 7 being released may not work or may need a firmware upgrade. It would be really strange if both of you had the same DVD drive.

The type of controller may also be involved... Are they SATA or IDE? Are you running any virtual drives or have software installed which would allow such?

One thing you might try is to put media in the drive, or even open or close the drive door to see if it shows up temporarily.

Ask a Question