Help Functions

Reaction score
Hello....

First post, so I maybe in the wrong place or it may already have been answered...

In Windows 8 and 8.1, I cannot access an installed programs internal help files. That is, say I have a graphics program or a game that did not come with a manual. Instead, the manual is part of the 'help' file. W8 / 8.1 does not open such files and I've tried to dl and install the 'fix' from MS, which did not work. I've gone online at MS and talked with Tech Support over the phone. We simply could not get that function to work. Some programs actually crash out if you try to access their help files.

I tried to get it across to both online and phone tech support that I really needed this function to work. They couldn't answer my question. My question is, will this 'function' be restored in W10.?

Thanks
Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I suspect that these might be older programs, whose help files were written with a .hlp file extension and newer versions of Windows (since Vista) require a .chm extension.
Have a look here http://www.askvg.com/how-to-open-he...at-require-windows-help-program-winhlp32-exe/
There's a download for Windows 8 near the bottom which says will help :)

EDIT: Oh.... sorry I didn't answer you're actual question.
No. I wouldn't expect that particular issue to be "fixed" in Windows 10.
AND
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Does it take you to a web page that you could post a link to? I'd be happy to check it with Windows 10 for you.

Reaction score
Hello...

Thanks for your response. I have already tried the various links at the 'bottom' of the response from askvg. These are the 'fixes' that MS online and Tech support suggested. I spent many hours trying to get it sorted out with the help, over many months. None of them worked. I downloaded and installed them as directed by both support groups with no luck in getting them to work. Its as if I had installed nothing. Thanks for your responses though.

Dennis

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you be more specific about the files in question?
1. Specifically what program(s) are they for?
2. What is the file extension?
3. Can you zip up an example of one of the files and attach it to your next post?

Reaction score
Hello....

Well... the programs are those that are not the Windows 8.1 program itself. Such as Photo Paint, the HPS Campaign Series, Ubisoft IL2 1946, Corel Draw,
Roxio Easy Media Creator, the Sothink video programs and so on. Any program that has a help option in the task bar.

The 'extensions' are those that end in .HLP or .hlp.

Thanks for your interest in this situation.

Dennis

Reaction score
Hi Dennis,
I have the same problem and, in researching it, found the following information:
Apparently, a November Update (KB3000850) breaks the legacy .HLP Winhelp update (KB917607). Whenever someone asks MS, they just give them some version of "Fixit" or a stand-alone version of KB917607, or some registry edits but none of those work. Here is a good explanation of the problem:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...gacy-hlp/8f88acc0-192e-4ec7-86fe-d0e60ef68972
(The posted question is quite clear - the answers - not so much)
A possible work around (I have not tried this but it makes sense to me) is given at
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...7/03311d2c-c18f-417e-9475-eb079a65096c?page=2

Reaction score
Hello...

Thanks for your interest in 'my problem'. I say 'mine', I was beginning to think it was only my system. But then friends of mine reported having the same problem. I'm with you, it makes no sense that MS 'disabled' .hlp files through some sort of oversight and. I too have gone around and around with MS support and site help suggestions. Apparently, keeping your system updated can cause more problems then they seem to solve. It seems because everyone's system is different, that the number of variables related to updates, drivers and anything else can be a major stumbling block to resolving this and several other situations. So, as I have done to some degree, attempting to find the applicable restore point and then the exact files and renamed extensions is something of a crap-shoot. So, at this point as much as I would like, and need in some instances, spending more time pulling my hair out over this, is just a bit over the top. What really puzzles me is, does anyone actually test these updates before they issue them for use? I mean its not like 'help' is an unnecessary thing, as many programs do not come with a printed manual and include them in the 'help' file of their program. I even have programs that crash when I try to open 'help'. I've been looking for a free program that converts 'hlp' files to PDF without much success. If someone knows of one please let me know.

Thanks

Dennis

Reaction score
There are various programs available that convert .hlp files to .chm but for one thing, I have not found a FREE program that does this and for another, every single one I looked at seems to assume that you are the developer of the software that uses that help file. Well – I am using an old Lotus graphics program (Lotus Freelance) and, of course, I don’t have the source code. Without the source code, I can’t modify the program to use .chm files rather than .hlp files and Freelance Graphics is no longer supported (hasn’t been for years) so I can't contact the developer. So much for that approach.
Quite frankly, I don’t think you or I should have to jump through hoops: What we are dealing with is an incompatibility between KB3000850 and KB917607 (you can apply either one but not both) and it is up to Microfluff to fix this. (It appears to be a very simple fix) What we can do is, make enough noise until MS acknowledges that there is a problem – so far I have not seen such an acknowledgement and until they admit there is a problem, they are unlikely to fix this mess. In the meantime, the work-around I linked to in my previous post promises to provide an option for those who can’t wait for MS to get off their duff.

Reaction score
Hi Dennis,
I just installed the latest batch of updates for Windows 8.1 (14 optional ones). After that, I re-installed the stand-alone version of KB917607 (Windows8.1-KB917607-x64.msu). It looks like the folks at Microsoft have seen the error of their ways and have fixed things: The Help functionality in Lotus Freelance is available again.
I bet, once you follow suit, the programs on your machine that need to be able to run .hlp files will work again.

Reaction score
Hello...

Thanks for your interest and help in this matter. I have tried these before, and just tried them again. I still get the same error message, basically... that these are not applicable to my computer. I've gone around and around with tech on this, with no joy!

Dennis

Ask a Question