Help Installing Win10 on New Hard Drive

Reaction score
My old hard drive with Win10 crashed. I ordered a new WD Blue Sata 1 TB hard drive. I made a boot Macrum Reflect disk, I had two image backups on a passport USB external drive. I thought I was OK.
The MR boot disk worked fine. I plugged in my USB passport, MR found the MR System Image on the passport. I clicked "restore," and received a quick restored successfully. Then I waited 50 minutes while two green processing bars loaded. When they completed I has a MR popup that said "Failure," files not transferred.
I shut my pc down and rebooted and Win7 apppeared on my new hard drive, now Win10.
I made a Win10 DVD from the Win10 Create Tool previously. I tried to change the boot order to DVD first, but the pc shows it in red, and will not boot to the DVD Win10 Create Tool.
Next I have been trying to click on the "Download Win 10 icon in the System Tray, and get only a quick " Please Wait" and then it disappears and nothing else happens.

So I go to the Win10 site to download now and still get a flash of "Please Wait."

I don't have a clue what to do to get Win 10 back on my new hard drive. I have m personal docs backed up. I would be happy now just to get Win 10 installed on the new hard drive (which now has Win 7 on it).
I am in a goat roping. Some advice please.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Download the media creation tool and create a bootable USB flash drive.....4 Gb minimum needed. Insert that into a USB port and reboot, at the post beep start tapping F12 to get the boot menu order, from there select the USB drive and hit enter.

Reaction score
Download the media creation tool and create a bootable USB flash drive.....4 Gb minimum needed. Insert that into a USB port and reboot, at the post beep start tapping F12 to get the boot menu order, from there select the USB drive and hit enter.

Thank you for your prompt reply to help me. I have an ISO Image DVD burned with Win10 created from the Windows Media Creation Tools. However, when I set the DVD/CD to boot, I get the Win 10 icon, and after some time I get the message, "It looks like you started and upgrade and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade, remove media from PC and click "yes." If you want to perform a clean install instead, check "no."

Selecting "Yes" and "No" both take me to a single option of Windows 7. It will not update to Win 10.This version of Windows 7 was "restored" by macrum Reflect on my new WD hard drive. I have tried all of the options of updating from Win 7 to Win 10 from Windows websites,and none of them seem to work. Even "Repair doesn't work. It states that drivers are missing.

Is there any other way to upgrade to Windows 10 Home from this restored version of Win 7 on this new hard drive?
I sure hate to have to wipe this restored version of Win 7 from the new hard drive and then try to install a clean update of Win 10. I want to do an update to Win 10 so I won't have to install all of my printer drivers, etc..
Thank you for your time.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
It seems that the MR system image is corrupt, which is for backup purposes. A system clone is what need for an operable OS when moving to a new HDD. The upgrade can't use the image and therefore blocking the upgrade.

Because of all that happening is why I suggested you use the USB method and do a clean install.

Purpose of Imaging Hard Drives
Imaging a drive is more for backing up purposes. The best way to use the computer imaging process would be to take an image of a healthy computer, copy that image file and put it in a safe place, then set up an incremental backup on the original image.

The purpose of copying and saving the original image is in case you incrementally backed up a virus or some other form of scumware on the original image. If that happened, you would still have the original image for restoration purposes without having to reinstall Windows and all of the other applications that have accumulated on your hard drive.

Purpose of Cloning Hard Drives
Cloning a drive actually clones the entire contents of the drive to another drive or partition and does not create an image file. Cloning a drive is useful to upgrade your hard drive or clone a failing drive to a new one. The only issue with cloning is that you need to have two physical hard drives in the same computer (unless you have an external USB hard drive enclosure on hand). This review shows how to clone a laptop hard drive with a hard drive enclosure.

During the cloning process, you choose which drive you want to clone. If you accidentally pick the new empty drive, and clone that to the original drive, you will totally overwrite all of your data. No getting it back, it’s gone. Been there done that – once. This is why I recommend using the hard drive imaging process to upgrade a hard drive. It adds an extra step but it is a safety measure as well.

Reference link: http://www.whatsabyte.com/P1/Image_or_Clone.html

Ask a Question