{Help}Migrating to an ssd

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought a new SSD earlier today and I wanted to put my OS on it.
My problem is is that I simply have no idea on how to do so, i've read something about cloning but i for some reason don't really trust it. I've also read something about the clean install option of windows 10, but will I be able to assign it to an ssd through that?

Any advice/help would be gladly apreciated!

-Nick

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've also read something about the clean install option of windows 10, but will I be able to assign it to an ssd through that?
It's relatively simple.
Just acquire the installation media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the information provided in the section labeled "Using the tool to create installation media"
Install your SSD physically into your computer. IF you have other / multiple physical hard disks, disconnect them temporarily to avoid any complication during installation.
IF it's a desktop make sure you use the proper SATA connector (port) on the motherboard. Usually SATA 0 (sometimes SATA 1 if no SATA 0 is present).
The installation process will see the new SSD and install to it (provided the SSD is recognized by the system BIOS).

NOW...... provided you had been running Windows 10 on that computer the clean install should go without problems.
IF you are prompted for a product key, simply click the link that says "I don't have one" and let the installation complete.
Subsequently, when the machine is connected to the internet, your machine will be activated with its' former digital license.

IF the computer had not been running Windows 10 already, you will likely have to acquire a proper product key in order to activate it.

Reaction score
It's relatively simple.
Just acquire the installation media
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
Use the information provided in the section labeled "Using the tool to create installation media"
Install your SSD physically into your computer. IF you have other / multiple physical hard disks, disconnect them temporarily to avoid any complication during installation.
IF it's a desktop make sure you use the proper SATA connector (port) on the motherboard. Usually SATA 0 (sometimes SATA 1 if no SATA 0 is present).
The installation process will see the new SSD and install to it (provided the SSD is recognized by the system BIOS).

NOW...... provided you had been running Windows 10 on that computer the clean install should go without problems.
IF you are prompted for a product key, simply click the link that says "I don't have one" and let the installation complete.
Subsequently, when the machine is connected to the internet, your machine will be activated with its' former digital license.

IF the computer had not been running Windows 10 already, you will likely have to acquire a proper product key in order to activate it.
And If I somehow fail I should just be able to retry it by inserting my old hdd with windows on it and format my ssd right?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
And If I somehow fail I should just be able to retry it by inserting my old hdd with windows on it and format my ssd right?
Glass half full?? :)
Yep although you can pretty much do that with the installation media.
During the installation you can bounce out to a DOS prompt and use DiskPart to clean the drive by simply holding down the shift key and striking the F10 key, or.....
You can use the GUI, during the installation to delete partitions until all space is un-allocated again.
BUT....
Basically, yes..... by disconnecting any and all physical drives from the computer and just dealing with the new SSD as the target all other drives and partitions should remain safe and sound.

Reaction score
Hmmmm I think that cloning is the way to go provided that the SSD is bigger than the capacity used on the old HDD. Saves reloading apps and data.
Trouble's plan will work of course but I'd just download the free version of Paragon, plug the SSD into a spare SATA slot and clone C: onto it. Then unplug the old C: which should be in SATA 0 and plug the SSD in to SATA 0 then reboot.

If the PC in question is a laptop then you need to obtain a USB to SATA dongle. Used to be that Samsung included them with SSDs but I don't think they do any more sadly.

Reaction score
I agree a clean install would be best for the performance of the system, but keeping your utilities is a consideration. Hopefully, Win 10 drivers for that system are available from your OEM, if you do a clean install.

I have not cloned a drive but use imaging instead. The part about cloning which concerns me is there may be settings as to how it is done for the best result. For instance, I have seen options to make cloned partitions a relative size to the original. If that is allowed, the small System type partitions may end up larger or smaller than they were on the original installs... Other options, such as Partition IDs might make a difference but his would depend on which cloning software used and what options it has.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
a clean install would be best for the performance of the system
Yep nothing beats a clean install which also comes with a pristine Windows Registry.
I suppose disk cloning has its' usefulness, you get the "Rose" -> no programs to re-install, which seems to be the stumbling point for most. Personally I've never had a problem with that and will be doing it again in April.
AND
You also get the "Thorns" a Windows Registry that I always imagine looks like a writhing mass of worms, depending of course on how you came to where you are now, multiple OS upgrades, third party programs and drivers installed, uninstalled, reinstalled.

Reaction score
Good point. But as you say...it does depend on the previous history of the machine.

Ask a Question