Help Needed, Please

Reaction score
Please forgive me for posting here but not getting an answer from the Microsoft Community. My question is actually Windows 8.1 related. I have an HP Laptop that until recently appeared to be working fine and have considered eventually upgrading to Windows 10. However it has started crashing recently anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes after signing in to my account. It always shows a blue screen and indicates a Memory Management problem.

At first I thought it might be a heat problem or a memory or hard drive problem. However, if I boot into Safe Mode it never crashes and I am able to run Internet Explorer fine and Facebook from within Internet Explorer with no problems. Never crashes. I have run it for the better part of two days now in Safe Mode without a hitch but as soon as I try a normal boot it crashes again.

I have disabled all startup applications and all Services from Task Manager appear as stopped. I do see a number of Background Processes and Windows Processes running.

I cannot do a System Restore because it says there are no restore points available.

Any ideas? Again, please forgive me for posting here but you guys have been an invaluable help with Windows 10.

Rev. Michael L. Burns

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It could still be a memory management issue, just not the system memory it may be your GPU's memory.
Since it apparently runs in Safe Mode fine and because Safe Mode loads a generic VGA driver and not your normal GPU driver, that would be my first suspicion.
Download this
http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135
Since Display Driver Uninstaller needs to be run in Safe Mode anyway it works out good for you.
Leave it at the defaults (recommended) to prevent Windows Updates from automatically reinstalling the driver.
Boot your system normally, when done.
That should result in everything else running normally but your display driver will remain a generic VGA driver.
If that works then you've found the culprit.
IF not then I would suggest performing a Clean Boot (rather than Safe Mode) as per the instructions here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
That may help determine if (it is not a driver problem) it is a Start Up item or a non-Microsoft Service that is causing your issue.

Ask a Question