Help with LAN not recognizing Hard wired computers or drives

Reaction score
After Windows 10 Update to 1511,10586 , none of the wired, network computers/drives are visible in the "Net Work" window. The network has One other, wired, computer and WDMyCloud Drive that are no longer visible.

Using the "Run" option, with addresses, I can access any computer or shared drive. File copy etc between computers works fine.

WakeOnLan reports that it cannot find the host computer, but it wakes it up anyway.

I have entered the credentials in Credential Manager and updated the drivers for my Realtek Ethernet card. Network Diagnosis finds no problems.

The problem exist,after the update, on both wired computers.
I have tried two previous existing administrative users and one administrative user added after the update.

Any idea for a fix?

Thank you

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
On both computers
Open an elevated command prompt and type
nbtstat -RR
hit enter
Ping each computer, one from the other by IP address
Ping each computer, one from the other by NetBIOS name.
Refresh your network view in File Explorer and see if they show up.
Something probably happened during the update to confuse the Master Browser distinction.
Often simply rebooting the systems involved, bringing up the main computer first will force a new master browser election and right the ship by fixing who hosts the browse list.

Reaction score
Thank you for your quick response!

Prior to your response, I have shut down/restarted both computers several times. I have disconnected the network and reconnected it. I have rebooted the router once.

I have two wired computers and a wired WDMyCloud

As per your instructions, From Each Computer
I pinged the WDMYCloud drive and the opposite computer. I used the administrative Command Prompt.

The Nbtstat - RR refreshed as expected.
All pings, by address and by name succeeded as expected.

The newly opened, and then refreshed Windows Network showed: The Network Window showed:

Computer 1:
Shows itself. (Computer 1) in the "Computer" section of Network
Does not show Computer 2 or WD My Cloud in the computer section

Computer 2:
shows Computer 1 in the "Computer" Section of Network
Does not Show Computer 2 or WDMyCloud in the computer section

Note:
On both computers, WDMycloud is shown on the Network page's
"Media Devices" and "Storage" Section, but not in the "Computer" Section.

Thank you for your quick response.
Any other thoughts?

Jerry Bridgers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
On both computers
Try setting the Computer Browser Service and the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Service to automatic.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK
Additionally try setting Enable NetBIOS over TCP/ IP to on by clicking the radio button under the WINS tab for the properties of IPv4 in the properties of the network adapter being used.
Right click the Start Button and choose Run and type
ncpa.cpl
hit enter or click OK.
Right click the adapter being used and choose properties
Select (highlight) Internet Protocol Version 4 and click the Properties button and then click the Advanced button
Select the WINS tab and the second radio button from the bottom "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Reaction score
Before I received your last set of instructions:

I disconnected the internet cable from computer 1, cut power to the router and to the WDMyCloudDrive and rebooted the computer. I shut #1 down, restored all power and reinstalled the WDMyCloud drive. The Result was No Change for either Computer.​

I accomplished your last instructions on computer 1 and 2. I rebooted #1, but I did not reboot # 2. Both services are set to Automatic. I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on the Realtek Card.

No display change was noted on either computer's Network Page.

On Computer 1, the network page shows Computer 1 in both the Navigation panel and the main window in the Computer section
IF, using the run command and ip addresses, i connect to the cloud drive, a new page opens and the, Navigation panel, on the new page, shows Computer 1 and the Cloud drive. The main window of the new page Lists the drives available on the Cloud drive. The same type response is found if I open computer 2.

At this point I have three windows open. One page showing the Cloud drive drives,as described above; one page showing the drives on computer two. The original, network page, refreshed, still shows the same thing, (Computer 1) even though two other windows are listing the contents of Computer 2 and WDMyCloudDrive.

As of this time Network page has not changed. Without scripts and/or Run, I could not access either Computer 2 or the WDMyCloud drive. The previously mapped Cloud drive, functions as always, but if lost, I could not map a drive to either the cloud or Computer 2.

As before, I thank you for your efforts. I am impressed with your assistance.

Jerry Bridgers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you running any third party security suite on either or both computers?

Reaction score
I use McAfee antivirus on both computers and a notebook. I have stopped the full time scan as a test but no effect was noted. The notebook is wireless, but has no issues, but it is home version and did not update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
I removed McAfee via Products & Features. Rebooted and found no change.

I pasted your provided web page into the browser - Page Not Found Error. I searched McAffee support and found several documents on "how to use" the MCPR program. I never found out where to get the tool. I was afraid to download from other websites.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I provided two links to the McAfee's Consumer Product Removal tool.
The first one is a link to the main page where you can find the same link as my second one which is a hot link to the actual download and when clicked should present you with an option to save, run, etc.
You will need to run that as there are going to be remnants after a conventional uninstall (that's why they provide the tool). Same deal with any previously installed third party security suite, like AVG, Norton, etc.
They all have a vendor specific, proprietary, custom removal tool to get rid of any lingering bits.

Reaction score
Oops. Sorry I missed the second link. It worked well.

McAfee uninstalled via Windows
McAfee removed with MCRP tool
Reboot
No Change

I think we have pretty much run the gambit. I will either live with it as is or use my Diskimage of Windows 10 before the update and update again. I guess I better remember to reinstall McAfee while I make up my mind:)

I really appreciate the effort you have exerted and the speed with which you worked.

Jerry Bridgers

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Feeling frustrated right now.
Even in retirement I still do a fair amount of network consulting and can generally overcome these types of issues.
The last one I remember having this much problem with, involved two wireless machines and after doing all the normal things, I replaced the wireless router and everything seemed to magically heal itself.
Don't as me why or how, the only guess I could make was that somehow the wireless backplane in the router was not reliably passing NetBIOS information and that is or was just a guess.

Reaction score
Well I can certainly understand frustration. It is strange that A gigabyte and a MSI mother board are involved. Both Ethernet cards are by Realtek, but it is unlikely both went crazy at the same time.

The results were not encouraging, but I certainly won't fault you or your efforts. I do appreciate your assistance. I leaned a lot from your instructions.

Should I ever find a solution or cause, I will post it here.

Thanks again

Bridge

Reaction score
FYI:
Using an image, I went back to build 10240. The network page showed, under Computers, WDMyCloud, computer 1 and Computer 2 as normal.

Windows update reinstalled the 10586 build. Same ole, Same ole...Networks fail to show WDMyCloud or Computer 2. In fact, Network page does not even show a Computer section. The Navigation panel Network does not expand.

I don't think ole 10586 likes me!

Reaction score
FYI: I disconnected Computer 2 from the Wired connection and attached a WiFi Adapter. Computer 1 recognizes the WiFi attached Computer 2. Of course, the same experiment would not work for the WDMyCloud. I guess this shows that it is not a problem with computer 2 itself.

The Network display simply refuses to recognize wired computers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
In the interest of minimizing the problem can you remove the WDMyCloud from the network temporarily and then.......
Maybe try switching back to the wired adapter and try on both Windows machines.......
resetting the Winsock Catalog and IP stack
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
hit enter
Then type
netsh Winsock reset
hit enter
Then type
exit
Reboot both machines.
At that point, I would probably go in and set both machines manually to a static IP Addressing Schema.
Then redo the ping by IP and ping by NetBIOS Name to confirm that NetBIOS is being passed. Maybe even use ping -a ###.###.###.### just to see if the NetBIOS name comes back in the response.
Then check File Explorer -> Network and see if anything magical has happened.

Reaction score
I followed your instructions except for setting static addresses. I don't know how to do that.

Without wdclouddrive attached. Computer 1 shows Computer 2 in the Network. I have not yet re-installed the cloud drive...we'll see about that. I works as expected. Ah Ha!

Computer 2: Ah yes...

When I disconnected ethernet and re installed the adapter, I may have shot myself in the foot.

Background:
When I returned to ethernet, disconected the Net Adapter, the network now refers to the wireless name,"NG44 Connected" rather than "Network Connected". It appears to work and clicking on "NG44 Connected" takes me to the Ethernet window. I am unable to make the NG44 go away. I couldn't see Computer 1 and I couldn't access computer 1.

Back to the original issue:

The command "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" resulted in:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt
Resetting Interface, OK!
Resetting Unicast Address, OK!
Resetting Neighbor, OK!
Resetting Path, OK!
Resetting , failed.
Access is denied.

Resetting , OK!
Restart the computer to complete this action.​

The instruction "netsh Winsock reset" indicated success - no errors.

After the reboots:
??? I opened the computer and Network showed the Computer 1! I couldn't access it because it wanted a password and no pass word would work. I went to computer one and the last upgrade had changed sharing to require a password. I changed computer 2 sharing to No pass word required for sharing. Went back to computer 2 and now it did NOT show computer 1 in the Network screen. ?????:mad:

The Ping -a command timed out as below:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.186.1.5 -a

Pinging 192.186.1.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.186.1.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),​

I added 3000 miliseconds to the wait time and:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.186.1.5 -a -w 3000

Pinging 192.186.1.5 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.186.1.5: bytes=32 time=98ms TTL=44
Reply from 192.186.1.5: bytes=32 time=123ms TTL=44
Reply from 192.186.1.5: bytes=32 time=107ms TTL=44
Reply from 192.186.1.5: bytes=32 time=95ms TTL=44

Ping statistics for 192.186.1.5:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 95ms, Maximum = 123ms, Average = 105ms​

Note, on my last try a normal ping of 198.186.1.5 timed out.

I realized that I was working on a rebuld image which did not have your earlier corrections. I added all of the previous corrections and received the same results.

Now, I cannot see computer 1 from Computer 2, but I can access it and it is functional. Using the Run Command, "\\computer 1" and "\\192.186.1.5" will not connect. Error says cannot find....

I will reinstall the Cloud drive and let you know what happened. I thought this was wordy enough and I am beginning to associate very large hammers with my computers!:eek:

Thank you again for your assistance

Bridge

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you cannot ping by IP address then something serious is going on.
Make sure the computer can ping itself.
ping localhost
hit enter
then
ping its' own IP address
Those ping times are excessive, they should be 1 or 2 milliseconds on a LAN

Ask a Question