Hi, my name is Brenda and I hate windows 10.

Reaction score
I've worked in computer labs at my school for years, I say that to let you know I am a bit familiar with computers. The older versions at least. Wouldn't you know the year I retire I buy a new home computer and it's a windows 10. When I ask a question Cortana takes me to a link that wants to charge me to answer my question. This is just crazy...Am I the only one who hates this windows...now I think my computer upgraded to Edge or something like that... I plug in my iPhone and my computer doesn't even recognize it...never had a computer do that before....I thought surely there is a forum of people like me who found answers and a way to figure this thing out. I couldn't even burn a CD the other day...I looked all over for the rip button...not there...why did Microsoft mess up a good thing does anyone know any of the answers to my questions?
Sorry guess I was suppose to introduce myself....I'm a recent retiree of the board of education. I am a widow who loves or did love fooling around on my computer....not so much anymore.
Thanks for reading my intro...lol
Brenda

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Brenda and welcome to the forum.
I think my computer upgraded to Edge or something like that
Windows 10 still has Internet Explorer build in and you can find it down in your start menu under Windows Accessories. You can make it your default browser or install something else if you prefer a different browser experience altogether
I couldn't even burn a CD the other day...I looked all over for the rip button...not there
Likewise Windows Media Player.... and It still has the Rip button, I use it all the time.
I plug in my iPhone and my computer doesn't even recognize it
Sorry on that one you are on your own, although you might want to try the Phone Companion App
AND
You should probably make sure that you are all caught up and up-to-date with Windows Updates and running the latest version.

Bif

Reaction score
Wow!...that's a helluva intro Brenda! and welcome to the forum btw!..Trouble has covered it all in his reply so I have nothing to add but to say, Windows 10 is an acquired taste indeed but it's really not all that bad..it's actually a good OS once you get accustomed to the inner workings.
I have found myself saying with more regularity since I upgraded from 7 to 10.." it can always be worse "!
Seems to numb the migraines somewhat...;)

Reaction score
Thank you Trouble...I will keep looking for that Rip button on Windows Media Player...surely it's underneath one of those places I've clicked...I see the burn button but no rip...I will check and make my browser...and see if that makes anything better. I do every update so I should be good there on my iPhone and my desktop. I'm guessing by what you say is that this windows is NOT going to recognize anything I plug into it unless I get an app to help it along....jeez Sounds like a lot of trouble to me for the cost of what I paid for this desktop. lol
Also, I want to thank you Bif...so far I've not acquired the taste for this windows 10....hope it taste better than it has so far in the next few months...lol Okay going to the app store and see about getting something called Phone Companion....:(
Thanks to you both...:)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I will keep looking for that Rip button on Windows Media Player...surely it's underneath one of those places I've clicked...I see the burn button but no rip
All you have to do is, place a CD into the drive and the button should appear. Check your options for ripping.

Capture.PNG

Bif

Reaction score
Also to add to Troubles instructions, as a rule when I rip a CD for simply listening to on my laptop or small Bluetooth speakers I generally rip in 128kbps as it takes up a lot less room and the loss in quality can't be detected over a PC.
But if I plan to burn copies or stream to my home stereo then I always choose 320 as it's "almost" a mirrored copy of the original...but it does take up more space on your HD.
Just food for thought.

Last edited:

Ask a Question