High Contrast Problems

Reaction score
My computer automatically switches to high contrast.

I have changed the theme. I have selected "None" under the high contrast options. High contrast is definitely NOT selected. I have not witnessed the change happen, but when I leave my computer alone, it removes my theme and replaces it with high contrast - possibly when it goes idle?

I do that Ctrl+Alt+Print Screen to switch off high contrast every single time I sit down at the computer just so I don't have to look at those colors.

It's starting to drive me nuts. Please advise.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lola517,

Welcome to the Forum!

I tried to replicate this issue you are experiencing, but was unable to.

The problem with the High Contrast setting is that Windows remembers it, and each time you restart computer it will load that setting. The Registry key associated with this is:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Accessibility\HighContrast

Unfortunately, there is no specific policy for this setting, so you cannot disable it there, and even if you were to modify the values here, upon a restart of computer they would reappear.

The only thing I can suggest you try is the following:
  • When the high contrast kicks in, rather than use the default keys Ctrl/Alt/PrintScreen instead press your Windows key + L key
  • That will take you to the Lock Screen
  • Click the Lock Screen and you will be taken to a sign in prompt.
  • In the bottom right corner click on the Ease of access icon and toggle off the High Contrast
  • Now sign back in. The remainder of your logged in session will be High Contrast Free, until you reboot computer, then the setting will be reloaded.
Try this:

However, if you Lock Screen, then turn off High Contrast via the Ease of access icon and sign back in, you may then be able to type high contrast into your Search box, click the High Contrast Settings app, then select None and then Apply. With any luck you may finally reset the stored setting and not see this issue re-occur.

Other than that, the only other plausible method I can think of would be to modify multiple Registry keys to permanently disable Ease of access altogether. I could do some digging and work out which keys to modify, but that is not a 5 minute task - and I cannot guarantee it would actually work; I'd need to test it first.

Give that Lock Screen ago, and let me know whether you are then able to change the settings when you re-sign in and make the settings stick.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Lola517

have you tried:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Centre\Make the computer easier to see

to see if there is anything there for you?.

high contrast.JPG

Ask a Question