Homegroup Disappeared After Trying To Upgrade

Reaction score
Yesterday, 9/21, I had three computers networked through Home Group and they were working perfectly. Two computers are running Win 10 ver 1607, I attempted (for the third time) to upgrade the third one and apparently it failed once again. That computer is still running 1511 but no longer has a Home group connection. When trying to join existing group I got a message that said " a Home Group is no longer found on this device". Does upgrading the operating system wipe out networks and Home Groups? If so, I guess it makes no sense to try again until I can get the newest upgrade on the third computer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does upgrading the operating system wipe out networks and Home Groups?
No..... or at least it shouldn't.
Have you tried running the HomeGroup Troubleshooter.
Click the Start Button and just type Troubleshoot and hit enter
Left column click the link that says "View all"
Select the HomeGroup troubleshooter from the list and see if it produces any information.

In the end you might want to try "Leaving" the HomeGroup on all your computers and start over re-creating the HomeGroup from scratch.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

Reaction score
Since reading your post I've been going around in circles trying to have all computers leave the home group and start a new one. I think there is something hanging out in the bowels somewhere retaining some information that will not let me be successful. The DESKTOP computer which was the one not was not included in the group was giving me a message that DESKTOP had created a Homegroup and would I like to join. When I tried to join I got a message that "we find no Home group on this computer would you like to create one". I left again. I shutdown all three computers and.started over. Next I got the Purple PC and Silver PC on the same group but was then messaged that "you do not have permission to access files on this device". Is there someplace else where all previous groups and passwords are hibernating that could be fouling things up?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry.... I wish I could be of further help, but alas..... I'm no HomeGroup expert.
In fact, I never use it, preferring instead to use normal WorkGroup sharing with the appropriate User Name and Passwords in place on all machines involved to facilitate access to shared files and folders.

Reaction score
Maybe I should try Workgroup. I never heard about it. Could you give me more information about how to set it up. Also how does it differ from Home Group? thanks.

Ask a Question