Homegroup Missing

Reaction score
Yesterday after my 3rd(final) computer was upgraded to Windows 10 ver. 1703, my Homegroup has disappeared. All three computers now say "Homegroup exists - Join now. But there is none that is recognized as the Homegroup and there is no password that works. Yesterday all three computers were networked. The last password used on Nov. 2016 does not work. How can I delete all mention of this homegroup and start again? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Reaction score
I'm having trouble understanding your post. You said "Yesterday all three computers were networked. The last password used on Nov. 2016 does not work. What happened since yesterday?

Reaction score
I'm so sorry about that. Yesterday the 3rd computer was upgraded to the Creators version of Windows 10 and now I get messages that I have no permission to access my printer or files on the other computers. The Homegroup seems to be missing and none of the computers shows me a "create homegroup".

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi ottiliegirl,

As you all ready had a HomeGroup setup before upgrading to Creator the first thing you ought to try is:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings > Update & security
  • Now in left side click Troubleshoot
  • Now in main window scroll down and click on HomeGroup then click the Run the troubleshooter button
Sample image

img1.png

Report back on how you go using this tool. If it does not improve things for you, then there are some other steps you can do to help resolve this.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
This worked for me, Turn PC 2 and 3 Off. Create a home group (Cntrl Pnl) and password on PC1. then turn PC 2 On and join home group with the password you created on PC1, then proceed to PC 3 and repeat (join home group) the same procedure.
Enjoy home group networking, I reverted back to stand alone PCs with a wifi printer, less hassle.

Reaction score
Hi ottiliegirl,

As you all ready had a HomeGroup setup before upgrading to Creator the first thing you ought to try is:
  • Right-click on Start and select Settings > Update & security
  • Now in left side click Troubleshoot
  • Now in main window scroll down and click on HomeGroup then click the Run the troubleshooter button
Sample image

View attachment 6077

Report back on how you go using this tool. If it does not improve things for you, then there are some other steps you can do to help resolve this.​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I had already done that and got sa reply "troubleshooter couldn't detect the problem. Somebody else answered my post now and I am going to try that suggestion.

Reaction score
This worked for me, Turn PC 2 and 3 Off. Create a home group (Cntrl Pnl) and password on PC1. then turn PC 2 On and join home group with the password you created on PC1, then proceed to PC 3 and repeat (join home group) the same procedure.
Enjoy home group networking, I reverted back to stand alone PCs with a wifi printer, less hassle.

Reaction score
I had to turn off all 3 PCs. Turned on PC1 and created a new Homegroup. Turned on PC2 and PC3 and they both also said "CREATE". Turned them both off again and back on and this time they said "JOIN." I entered the correct password, they both searched for over 5 min. and then replied "windows no longer detects Homegroup on network

Reaction score
Try running the trouble shooter again on PC1 as Regedit suggested.
Also you click on settings > Network & Internet > network & sharing centre. Near the top right it will show if you have a home group network. Also at the bottom of the page you will see a network reset

Attachments

• Network.PNG
    Network.PNG
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,020
Last edited:
Reaction score
I think it would be simpler if you went into each computer and selected "Leave Homegroup", then set them all up again. It takes only a few minutes.

Reaction score
I ran the trouble shooter on each of the computers and the result was the same as before - troubleshooter couldn't detect the problem. I also followed your suggestion by going to settings >. network & internet and found my network. That seems to be fine.
Now back to the 3 computers. I again shut them all down. Turned on PC1 and created a homegroup. Went and joined the home group on PC2 & PC3 successfully. Separately, I opened the homegroup on each computer and only 2 PC's show up. PC1 where I created the group is missing. Only PC2 & PC3 are in the group. To complicate things even more, even though the entire C drive and the USER are shared on all three many files between PC2 & PC3 cannot be accessed by each other. These include my FAVORITES and DOCUMENTS and several more.
Any more suggestions would be appreciately.

Reaction score
Go into PC1 click open control panel > Home Group > change advanced sharing settings and make sure that " the radio button to "Turn on discovery network is checked" I have no more suggestions, other than leaving the home group as @Dave suggested and start again from scratch.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your patience with this issue. I will definitely try Wolfie's solution after I let you know what I found so far. I followed Dave's suggestion and eventually got all three PC's supposedly on the HOMEGROUP. However, when I tried to access files from PC1 there were only about 3 or 4 files listed and they were listed as follows \\PATSDESKTOP\user\patco. patco is a user name from 2015. Due to a major screwup by a foreign "support group in 2015 the desktop PC data was badly destroyed. The consultant who finally got it working again changed my user name to "ottlliegirl" but said "patco" could not be removed and it has been dormant ever since until now. So now my question is how do I make sure the homegroup is being created through "ottiliegirl"

Reaction score
If your logging on as "ottlliegirl" when creating a home group then "ottlliegirl" would be the creator.
The Creators update in Autumn (Fall) will no longer support "Homegroup" networking. Your recent effort to create a "Homegroup" may be all for nothing. Have you never tried to changing your user name back to "patco"

Reaction score
I have never used the "patco" since I was advised not to. I was told it could not be removed because of something to do with the registry and it must just stay there. If you've heard that Homegroup will no longer be supported have you heard of anything that will it and allow me and others to continue to access files on each of our other devices? Thank you.

Ask a Question