Host file does not save after moving to "etc" folder.

Reaction score
Hello all,

When I add lines to my host file, I am able to save it to my desktop with all changes intact. But when I move the file to the etc folder in Windows 10, the changes I made are removed. Changes that prevent a specific website from accessing my computer.

I use Notepad as administrator.

It is only when I transfer the modified host file to its "etc" folder that the line change is removed.

Perhaps the specific website in question has installed a hidden program in the Host file that prevents it from keeping my changes when the file is transferred to the "etc" folder?

Note, when I add a line such as "support.(company name) the line stays in after I relocate the file to the "etc" folder.
But when I add a line that directs to the URL to the company's main site, that line is removed from the file after I move the file from my Desktop to the "etc" folder.

Any help?

Reaction score
IT might help if you show us the contents of the new hosts file you're trying to install. Is it properly formatted?

Ask a Question