Host file locked - in use by another process

Reaction score
I have a script that allows me to replace the hosts file with one of two I have created. It has worked for a long time and recently when I run the script I get the message "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". I can't modify or delete the file because it it in use. The only thing that works is going to safe mode then it works fine. I don't know if this is something to do with the anniversary edition or not. This is a Dell laptop that I use at work, my home computer does the same thing. I would prefer not to go to the safe mode to modify my hosts file, any ideas I would appreciate.

Reaction score
The networking set up that exists at work and the one you use at home both require you to have a host file rather than letting DHCP do the work?

I haven't had to use a Host file for some years but it would not surprise me if Windows 10 did not open and lock the Hosts file as soon as it started networking at boot time.

Reaction score
At work I am on a public WiFi and at home I am on my personal DSL. I use the hosts file to block ip addresses of known malicious sites, mainly to block advertisers. I have used one for years and have with Windows 10 until recently.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Since it works in Safe Mode but not in Normal boot, that would suggest that some security is in place in a normal boot that is not as robust in Safe Mode.
It could be some third party security software, but.....
I'm wondering if it has something to do with Microsoft Network Realtime Inspection Service (Windows Defender Network Inspection Service)

Reaction score
I found the problem! ZoneAlarm Pro Antivirus + Firewall by default has locked the hosts file on all 3 of my computers I have it installed on. ZoneAlarm says it's not enabled by default. It looks like the last update is when the change was made. I should have checked earlier but it has never been an issue before. Thanks for all the input, I'm back in business!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I found the problem! ZoneAlarm Pro Antivirus + Firewall by default has locked the hosts file on all 3 of my computers I have it installed on. ZoneAlarm says it's not enabled by default. It looks like the last update is when the change was made. I should have checked earlier but it has never been an issue before. Thanks for all the input, I'm back in business!
Cool...... glad to hear that you managed to figure it out.
Thanks for the follow-up info.
Much appreciated

Ask a Question