How can I add CD to Windows Media Centre

Reaction score
I have recently installed Windows 10

I would now like to add some of my music CD to the Windows Media Player

I have asked online and was advised to open Windows Media Play, insert music CD and click the Rip CD button.

I can not find this Rip CD button.

Any advice please

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this will give you what you're looking for, but in Windows Media Player, if you click "Organize" and then choose "Options", you'll find a "Rip Music" tab. Perhaps you'll find what you need on that tab.

Reaction score
Your thread refers to Media centre. Your post refers to media player. Which is the one you are having the problem with?

But, in the Media player, as tomheaverie says. You might also find the options you are seeking under the "player" tab.

Reaction score
Sorry, I typed the wrong heading for the subject. I am trying to add one of my own CD to the Window Media Player on my computer.

I have followed the tomheaverlo suggestion.

But when I again placed the CD in the computer drive nothing happened.

This process was easy with Windows 7
Is it still possible with Windows 10?

Reaction score
Ok... I tried a test with Windows Media Player. After loading the program, I inserted a CD and selected Organize and Options as I mentioned in my earlier post. I clicked around on some settings, returned them to their original values, clicked Apply and Ok to approve the settings and when I returned to the main screen, there are two new items in the program's menu bar... Rip CD and Rip Settings as shown here, as well as the songs from the CD listed:

upload_2016-1-5_18-7-44.png

Do you not see this when you do the same thing?

Reaction score
I followed your instructions again, but it does not make any difference. Still no Rip CD or Rip Settings options.
You said that you "I clicked around on some settings, returned them to their original values". Can you let me know what settings they were?

I have been told by a friend that Windows 10 no longer has the option to copy music from CD.

Reaction score
I don't recall the settings I changed. I think all I did was check and un-check 'Rip CD automatically' or something like that (I'm at the office now and not at that PC). I only did enough to enable the 'Apply' button.

Windows 10 definitely didn't come with the ability to play DVD's, so you need a player for those. Maybe that carried over to CD's, but I'm not 100% sure.

Maybe you've already done so, but check to see that your Device Manager sees the CD drive, and also be sure that the driver for that device is up-to-date.

You can also try changing your default music player (again, if you haven't already done so): http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-default-music-player-windows-10

Last edited:

Ask a Question