SOLVED How can I compress a group of photos?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
How can I compress a group of photos
The first thing you should probably know is that most picture formats like .jpg and .png are already in a compression state and further compression will of very little reward in the form of overall file size savings. So.....
with the exception of something like a bitmap picture .bmp compressing pictures is not going to accomplish much.
Secondly the typical way you compress anything natively in Windows is by right clicking and choosing "Send to (Compressed folder) that will create a zipped .zip copy of the item you choose to compress. You can do this with files and or folders.
Lastly based on your question it would seem that perhaps you don't mean compression at all but maybe "resize" if that's the case, then I usually just email them to myself using outlook, select a group of photo and right click and choose send to and select mail receipient and then use the result sizing dialog box to bring them to something smaller.

Reaction score
I'll try to answer that. I said " try" because I have never done that.

*** I am using Office 2007 Home & Student version ***

Open MS Word > click Insert tab >click Picture > navigate to the folder where your photos are > select them > click Insert at the bottom > under Picture Tools, Adjust box, click Compress Pictures > click OK > click the Office button > Save As > Save as type > click the pointer and select PDF (*.pdf) > name the file > click Save.

Will that work ?

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I do mean to compress and resize so that I can transfer to a word documents. I have to load on to a software, that has this requirement, as photographic evidence of my work. I was able to do this procedure with Windows 7, which was compressing for a document. I will ask the software people is they know how this can be done on Windows 10, as I have just started using it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just insert as david has said above by using the insert picture option from the word toolbar, once you have done that you will see at the far right of the picture tool / format ribbon an option title size, double click the little expand icon in the bottom right of that section and you should get a "layout" dialog box, make sure that "lock the aspect ratio" is select so as not to distort the picture and then you can shrink the physical size which will inturn shrink the file size. You'll need to experiment I usually use the percentage area to do this, just change height or width and both will change.
As far as the .pdf file format....... david has already explained that above, you can use the save as drop down arrow to select PDF

Reaction score
I'll try to answer that. I said " try" because I have never done that.

*** I am using Office 2007 Home & Student version ***

Open MS Word > click Insert tab >click Picture > navigate to the folder where your photos are > select them > click Insert at the bottom > under Picture Tools, Adjust box, click Compress Pictures > click OK > click the Office button > Save As > Save as type > click the pointer and select PDF (*.pdf) > name the file > click Save.

Will that work ?

Thank you. I tried it the way you have suggested it has reduced the photographs use from 297MB to 11.1MB.

I have MS Office 2007. What I did do on Windows 7 was once I uploaded the photographs from the Camera's SD Card, I would transfer to a new file created on my desk top, once I selected all the photographs (Control + A), then selected Edit, it would allow me to compress all the photographs at the same time from say 297MB to 11.1MB. Once compressed I then would select all the photos and transfer to a new word document and then I would have to resize each photo separately to 5cm and save the word document. I then saved the document as a PDF to transfer to the accreditation software. Time consuming I know, but I was quite used to it.

Reaction score
Just insert as david has said above by using the insert picture option from the word toolbar, once you have done that you will see at the far right of the picture tool / format ribbon an option title size, double click the little expand icon in the bottom right of that section and you should get a "layout" dialog box, make sure that "lock the aspect ratio" is select so as not to distort the picture and then you can shrink the physical size which will inturn shrink the file size. You'll need to experiment I usually use the percentage area to do this, just change height or width and both will change.
As far as the .pdf file format....... david has already explained that above, you can use the save as drop down arrow to select PDF

Thank you, I will give it a try tomorrow. I do know how to save to PDF, but thanks anyway. Let you know how I get on. :0)

Reaction score
Search for Image Resizer on the web and you can resize your pictures before you start (copies - the originals are still there).

Reaction score
Microsoft Office Picture Manager is what I used to open pictures to condense and edit photographs, this I had lost or thought I lost due to loading Windows 10. However, I have now found it again. Thank you to all that tried to help. :0)

Ask a Question