How can I FORCE credentials login when connecting to another PC in the network?

Reaction score
Hi,

I just installed Windows 10 on a desktop PC and a laptop. From all the searches I've made, it seems that most people don't want to be asked for credentials when accessing another PC in their network, but I have the opposite problem. When I connect from the laptop to access the PC (and viceversa) no popup for user and password comes up, it just goes to it.

I've set up the option to "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers" but no prompt for password ever comes up.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If you are currently logged on to a computer that is using the same username and password as the computer you are accessing (that is, has an identical account on it), then Windows pass through authentication will just, well..... Pass you through.
OR
If you have previously authenticated when connecting to the other computer and ticked the box that says "remember" or "save" credentials, or something like that.... Then your authentication credentials will be stored in Control Panel Credential Manager.

Reaction score
Hi Trouble... Yes, that is the case, I have the same account name and password in both computers. So a different computer with a different user would indeed be asked by my user credentials, right?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Absolutely..
You can test if you want.
Just create a new user on your machine that is not identical to the one on the other machine you are accessing.
Log on as that new user and you should be prompted for credentials when accessing the other network node's shares.

Reaction score
.Check to see that the Work Group in the computer Names of both network computers agree. I found I have the default Windows "Workgroup" after the install and my network had a unique Workgroup name that I created. When I changed it the Network Credentials challenge stopped.

Ask a Question