How can I prevent my son changing the DNS server IP?

Reaction score
Dear sir or madam,

I have a new laptop and brand new installed windows 10. I have activated the default administrator user and the user of DefaultAccount. I also invited my son with his email to use the laptop and his type is standard user.

But how did my son change the dns server ip? now I lose the control of laptop, He can visit any website.

My question is how did my son change the DNS serve IP? How can I stop it.

Thank you

Scott

Reaction score
You could instruct your son to not change system parameters. Is he changing to use a VPN to get to specific sites?

Does ipconfig show a different ( and wrong) DNS address?

Usually your 'net provider will supply DNS addresses that will propagate through the router and be seen in Windows.

You can go to the properties of your net adapter, and then from there the properties of IPV4 (and IPV6 if you have a connection) and set DNS addresses in there. These will override the providers addresses.

I do this and use Google's public DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Reaction score
Yes. My son can apply google.'s public DNS 8.8.8.8. and 8.8.4.4. but this DNS have not yet block adult and game site. So my son can visit any website including adult and game.

Reaction score
Restricting my son playing game and some special website are what I want. Normally I am using open dns ip

Reaction score
As a standard user, he can not change the DNS server IP address because there is pup-up windows to type administrator password while trying change the DNS SERVER ip. But How can he apply google public dns ip? Is it one of bug.

Bif

Reaction score
It appears from what you've said that he has Administrative rights in one shape or form..

Reaction score
" I also invited my son with his email to use the laptop and his type is standard user."

His user type is standard user.

Before he always hack the administrator in windows 7 So I specified that default user of administrator has been activated by me and set password. so My son can not use it any more

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It appears from what you've said that he has Administrative rights in one shape or form..
I agree.
He either knows the passwords that you are using for the administrator(s) accounts or he has a bootable disk or thumb drive that he uses to alter the password offline.
OR
IF you are using DHCP he is changing them at the router.
OR
Maybe if he's extra clever, he's using a Linux Live Distro

Reaction score
How about telling him not to change things in the laptop and not to go to those sites you don't want him to go to. If he doesn't stop then don't let him use the computer. Very simple actually.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
As a standard user, he can not change the DNS server IP address because there is pup-up windows to type administrator password while trying change the DNS SERVER ip. But How can he apply google public dns ip? Is it one of bug.
Exactly. This tells me it's been changed to an admin account or was set up as an admin account.

Reaction score
Liusigou, from your original post you want to use some DNS that is restricted so that your son cannot access some sites. As Bassfisher says, if your son has managed to get his ID into the Admin group you won't be able to stop him changing it.

Ask a Question