How can I select which updates to install and when to install them?

Reaction score
I have a simple question and I would like a simple answer. I had Windows7 set to automatically download updates and notify me when it had done so. It gave me a list of those updates and a description of what each, individual update was. I had the choice of which updates I wanted to hide, which ones I wanted to install and when I wanted to install them.

I’ve been on Windows 10 for almost a year and just did the anniversary update to version 1607. Can Windows10, with this update installed, be configured to handle the update downloads and installation exactly as was done in Windows7? I want the updates but I would like the ability to select which ones I want installed and when to install them.

In this Microsoft link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12387/windows-10-update-history, I’m told that the Professional, Enterprise and Education versions of Windows10 users have the option to download and install upgrades when they desire to do so (as we could do on Windows 7). Why don’t I have the same capability?

During the exercise of discovering all this information (which applies to 3 different computers at my house), I discovered that, when our systems were upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, Microsoft failed to activate the System Restore feature in the update. I have now activated it for all our main hard drives. I find that when Windows 10 updates, it first does a system restore, but only if the user has activated system restore on his own PC. Those that haven’t activated this feature have no way to restore their systems to an earlier time if an update fails, as it did on my wife’s computer last night at shut down and on start up this morning.

Reaction score
As I understand it:
W10 Home they will install.
W10 Pro. You can delay the updates for a while.
W10 Education Don't know
W10 Enterprise. If you running with an enterprise licence you can control the updates that go out to the workstations to any extent you like.

Reaction score
Professional, Enterprise and Education versions of Windows10 can defer the updates, but there is a time limit on the deferral. They will eventually download and install the updates automatically, regardless.

Ask a Question