How can I stop the Upgrade?

Reaction score
I do not like the new version, mostly the program menu, and have reverted back twice now. How can I get Windows to stop wasting my time?
Thank you

Reaction score
I believe its 10586,. Program menu: start button and first icon above start. Alphabetical list of programs. And thanks for the reply!

Reaction score
Type Winver into the search box , that will tell you. Or right click the start button and click on system.
Current version today is 1703 15063.674

Reaction score
Best if you just bite the bullet. Short of disconnecting from the internet, you will never stop windows from taking control.
"Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on
Ground Control to Major Tom (Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six)
Commencing Fall Update countdown, engines on (Five, Four, Three)
Check ignition and may God's love be with all MS users (Two, One, Liftoff)

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I believe its 10586,. Program menu: start button and first icon above start. Alphabetical list of programs. And thanks for the reply!
You are going to have to update that version as it's outdated..... I believe that version is going to be put to pasture if not already.

And for the start menu issue.....you can use a 3rd party software to make it look and act like windows 7 if you prefer. The 2 best one out are are Classic Shell and Start10. Classic Shell if free and Start10 is $4.99 but has a 30 day trial period. I've used both and prefer Start10. When windows 8 came out I bought Start8 I liked it so much.

Bif

Reaction score
I must agree with Norton's comment...it truly is an exercise in futility trying to hide from MS...they will find your machine at some point when you least expect it and you will be in the world of 10 before you know it..
My opinion is to embrace it with an open mind, and learn with the rest of us..it really ain't that bad.
Now back to "floating in a most peculiar way"..;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes Classic Shell the answer to your problems with start menu's you have full control, Can be set up to work like XP, Vista or win7.
Up dates can be delayed but sooner or later you will have to install them.
I find it better for my systems to go get these upgrades from window catalog and run them on my own schedule when I have time to deal with crating images prior to install etc and deal with any issue that may arise.

The only problem with Classic Shell is you have so many options as to how your start menu and windows explorer work and are seen it can be intimidating since in the past we have had very little ability to modify the start menu.

Ask a Question