How can I stop Windows 10 logging me in automatically at start up?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I downloaded and installed Windows 10 yesterday and am loving it so far! One thing is a bit frustrating, however....

I share the computer with my wife. Each of us has our own user account, the idea being we can then have our own personalised user experience. The frustration comes when, upon booting up the PC, it always automatically signs me directly in - bypassing the login page and depriving my wife the chance to login under her name.

Of course, she is able to do this if she then clicks on my name from the start menu and logs me off - but this is besides the point! Surely there must be a way for Windows 10 to just stay on the login page upon start up - giving whoever the user is the opportunity to login under their own account?

I've tried chatting with a Microsoft representative with this issue, but nothing they did seemed to do the trick!

The ironic thing is I've seen lots of posts online giving tips on how to bypass the login page without passwords etc - I actually want the opposite!!

Anyone here have any ideas?

Reaction score
The ironic thing is I've seen lots of posts online giving tips on how to bypass the login page without passwords etc - I actually want the opposite!!

You could have done the "reverse" of those tips. Yes ?

Anyway, try this method. Hope it will solve the problem.........
Right click at Start > select RUN > in the Run box, type netplwiz > click OK.
In the next windows is the box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" unchecked ?
If yes, check it > click Apply, then follow the prompts to finish.

Reaction score
You could have done the "reverse" of those tips. Yes ?

Anyway, try this method. Hope it will solve the problem.........
Right click at Start > select RUN > in the Run box, type netplwiz > click OK.
In the next windows is the box "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" unchecked ?
If yes, check it > click Apply, then follow the prompts to finish.

This worked a treat....many thanks!

You'd have thought the "technical help" person I spoke to online from Microsoft should have known this, wouldn't you! ;-)

Ask a Question