SOLVED How change attributes or delete a read-only folder & subfolders

Reaction score
I have Windows 10 Pro. I've been trying to delete a folder & it's subfolders without success. I thought I took ownership, but I'm not sure. I've run Powershell as administrator & tried the following commands:

attrib -r -s C:\FolderName
However, this doesn't do anything.

I tried:
Del /?
to get delete syntax, but get a message that "del" isn't a recognized command.

I'd appreciate any help. Thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Hi phrab,

have you right clicked the folder > Properties > Security (also "Advanced") and checked there?:

file folder properties.JPG

I hope it helps. :)

Reaction score
Hi phrab,

have you right clicked the folder > Properties > Security (also "Advanced") and checked there?:

View attachment 8519

I hope it helps. :)
Thank you for your response. I did try that, but have difficulty finding what "group" to give permission to. I just tried it again, both directly & with Powershell. I'm still unable to change the attribute or delete the folder & subfolders. I've attached the pictures of what I get when I try to change attributes or delete a folder that I renamed from Avira to eAvira.
Error.PNG
Error.PNG

User.PNG

PowerShell.PNG

I'd appreciate any additional advice.

Reaction score
Hi phrab,

I see Avira there (I assume you have the AV app installed?), is that is what is blocking you?. :confused:

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I took so long to respond. I thought I would get email notification of a response, but I didn't. Also, I had a corrupt backup that I had restored from & had dozens of problems. Fortunately, this problem went away as I found an earlier backup that wasn't corrupt.

Thank you again for your reply. I appreciate your time & support!

Reaction score
No problem, please see the first post in this thread and click the solved button so it helps others!. :)

Reaction score
Hi Wolfie:
I don't want to mislead anyone. It's no longer a problem because I didn't end up having to change permissions or delete any folders. I found a non corrupt backup from about a month ago & restored my entire computer from that. I'm still not sure what group I would use to change permissions & don't know the syntax in Powershell to delete a file.

Ask a Question