SOLVED How do I allow File Drag&Drop into old an App

Reaction score
I have a old 32-bit sound editor application. I do not want recommendations to upgrade or switch products; I know all the functions I need with this & I have zero desire to change.

But what I am looking for is my old functionality back. I cannot drag an MP3 file into the app window and have it open like it did in XP & W7. Even if I run it as an administrator (which is ridiculous that I should need that) it simply changes the X to a + but then does nothing when I release the file over it.

Seems to me I had to enable something in W7 & add a %1 parameter in W7. Any idea how I can make it work in W10?

Even right-click & "open with" isn't any good because it opens a new version of the app rather than just another file in the existing iteration.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi TrainableMan,

I've been attempting to replicate your issue on my system, but so far the only scenario I could create was the need to enter an Administrator password on a UAC prompt. Other than that in all scenarios so far, I've managed to drag a file into an old Windows 7 Office 32-bit application and open a current Word file. (In one scenario, I had to enter the Administrator password - when it appeared the file would not open - it took me a moment to realize the UAC alert was flickering on my Taskbar awaiting me to open it and enter the Admin password).

My tests were done on a Windows 10 Home edition, upgraded to Windows 10, which is currently using Version 1703 (OS Build 15063.322).

Could you let me know a few things about your situation please:
  • What edition of Windows 10 are you using? Home, Professional, Enterprise?
  • What version and OS Build are you on? e.g. Version 1703, OS Build 15063.322
Both of the above can be confirmed by right-clicking on Start, selecting run & typing winver & clicking OK
  • Can you tell me the name of the 32-bit sound application you are wanting to use, and its version.
Open the 32-bit application, and click Help > About to get those details
  • Are you dragging files via File Explorer to a Desktop shortcut icon, or from file location, to the executable of the 32-bit sound program in the Program Files folder?
  • The User Account you are doing this from. Is it a Local Account, or does it belong to the Administrative Group?
  • Is the 32-bit sound program set to Run in Compatibility mode for Windows 7?
  • Is the 32-bit sound program set to Run as administrator?
Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
ver 1607 Build 14393.1198
Goldwave 5.55
by default it installed w/ Vista compatibility but I tried changing it to XP because I thought it was that old.
I was seeing a red X when I tried to drop over the open windows so I tried run as admin; so then I was dragging from Music Library list in Windows Explorer over the open Goldwave app and I saw the + but when I release it did nothing.

Anyway tonight when I got home from work I tried turning UAC all the way off and still no change. So I changed it to W7 compatibility rather than XP & NOT run as admin and it started working. I put my UAC back up and it still works.

So it seems maybe I was using the wrong compatibility option. What's important is it works now.

Thank you for trying to help.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Nice one TrainableMan.

I'm glad you resolved it for yourself, and thanks a lot for explaining how you resolved it too; others can learn from your experience who may run into the same or similar issues when the next major release is pushed out.

My guess based on your resolution is that when Windows Vista was released and thus for any Windows OS more modern than that too, (i.e. 7x, 8x. 10x) Microsft policies made running non elevated objects in an elevated Application a lot harder to do. So you using XP Compatibility and a UAC change probably just created the perfect storm to trigger one of those policies.

Ask a Question