SOLVED How do I delete a recovery partition?

Reaction score
I have a disk (HP machine) which has a recovery partition on it. When I go into Admin tools/Virtual disk manager, I can see the drive there (a partition on the real disk) but I can't delete it.

How do I do that? I really don't want it there.

Thanks

Alan

Bif

Reaction score
This is straight from the HP website,although I have an HP laptop and was thinking about doing what you speak of I have not as of yet.If you do try it please post back the results and how simple (or not) it was to achieve.

"Remove the recovery partition
While HP does not recommend it, you can remove the recovery partition by performing the following actions. During the removal process, a reminder displays if Recovery disks have not been created.
  1. Click Start, type Recovery in the search field, and click on Recovery Manager when it appears in the program list to open the Recovery Manager window.
  2. Click Advanced options.
  3. Select the Remove recovery partition option and click Next.
  4. When prompted to verify that you want to delete the partition, select the Yes option, and click Next.
  5. Allow the removal process to continue and restart the PC."

Reaction score
You first need to make sure your machine can boot without the recovery partition. If not then you need to prepare yourself with tools (Windows install media) to repair boot files after the partition removal.

The easiest way to remove partitions (especially system partitions) is through partitioning boot disk.

Reaction score
Thanks. I tried that but it has left an 800Mb recovery partition which I can't remove and a 15Gb empty drive. I want to expand my existing disk to maximise the free space.

Alan

Reaction score
For partition management try Mini Tool Partition Wizard which should work on an HP computer
Run a search to find it.

Ask a Question