How do I fix Critical error

Reaction score
Is have recently recieved a pc for Christmas and installed a disc copy of Windows 10 and after less than a month it has started saying
Critical error
Start menu and cortana aren't working. We'all try to fix it for next time you sign in.
And I am wondering if there is any perminant way of fixing this issue inatead of booting in safe mode and rebooting and will there ever be a patch for this?
*sorry for the spelling

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I am wondering if there is any perminant way of fixing this issue inatead of booting in safe mode and rebooting and will there ever be a patch for this?
Pretty sure, no one has a definitive answer for that particular question, as......
I don't think anyone really knows for a fact what particular software or possibly hardware or even a combination of the two might be causing this to happen, and......
I don't think that it is happening to enough people or computers to actually provide an accurate sampling to diagnose the problem.

Obviously it is and has happened to a sizeable number of users, but I suspect that all of them combined hardly represent a small fraction of the current Windows 10 install base, and they all have different hardware with hundreds if not thousands of different software / driver packages for those devices installed, along with thousands (conservatively) of third party software programs installed.

If someone ever zeros in on the particular combination of products that result in this problem, he or she should get a nobel prize or something,

I've done probably hundreds of installs of Windows 10 since October 2014 and it has never happened to me, not once. Nor has it ever happened to anyone in my immediate circle of friends, relatives or second hand clients that I've done upgrades for.

I keep hoping that someday it will.... both this problem and the password problem, neither of which have I been able to duplicate.

Reaction score
Pretty sure, no one has a definitive answer for that particular question, as......
I don't think anyone really knows for a fact what particular software or possibly hardware or even a combination of the two might be causing this to happen, and......
I don't think that it is happening to enough people or computers to actually provide an accurate sampling to diagnose the problem.

Obviously it is and has happened to a sizeable number of users, but I suspect that all of them combined hardly represent a small fraction of the current Windows 10 install base, and they all have different hardware with hundreds if not thousands of different software / driver packages for those devices installed, along with thousands (conservatively) of third party software programs installed.

If someone ever zeros in on the particular combination of products that result in this problem, he or she should get a nobel prize or something,

I've done probably hundreds of installs of Windows 10 since October 2014 and it has never happened to me, not once. Nor has it ever happened to anyone in my immediate circle of friends, relatives or second hand clients that I've done upgrades for.

I keep hoping that someday it will.... both this problem and the password problem, neither of which have I been able to duplicate.

After going through all the 'fixes' other users had tried (none worked), I deleted my Dropbox as a last resort, and now there isn't an issue. Even after re-installing Dropbox, everything is ok - but don't know for how long. It appears that there are several 'add-ons' like this that can cause issues ... can take hours to figure out! MS is aware of the problem; and claims to be "working on it".

Ask a Question