SOLVED How do I go back to WIN 8 after updating to WIN 10?

Reaction score
Hello, since I had an upgrade from WIN 8 to WIN 10, I did it, now I want to go back to WIN 8. I assume this is possible? But how?

Reaction score
IF you have not deleted the windows.old from C drive,
and,
IF you installed your win 10 less than 30 days ago.

If yes to BOTH of the above, you can go back to your Win 8.1 by doing this.............

Left click at Start > left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, select Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows 8.1, click the Get started button.

If you cannot do the above, you will have to reinstall Win 8.1

Reaction score
Like davidhk129 said, but if you need to downgrade to your past operating system and Windows 10's rollback option is gone, you’ll either need recovery discs generated from your original 8 machine to do a clean install of your old system, or have a system image backup stashed somewhere.

If that doesn’t work, your last option is to install Windows 8 in a virtual machine on your Windows 10 system—if you can get your hands on a product key and the older system discs. It’s a pain, but a VM will work surprisingly well for those times when only Windows 8 will do.

Reaction score
IF you have not deleted the windows.old from C drive,
and,
IF you installed your win 10 less than 30 days ago.

If yes to BOTH of the above, you can go back to your Win 8.1 by doing this.............

Left click at Start > left side, click Settings > select Update & Security > left side, select Recovery > right side, under Go back to Windows 8.1, click the Get started button.

If you cannot do the above, you will have to reinstall Win 8.1
Thanks for the great help, restored WIN 8.1 today and things look very good now.

Reaction score
Like davidhk129 said, but if you need to downgrade to your past operating system and Windows 10's rollback option is gone, you’ll either need recovery discs generated from your original 8 machine to do a clean install of your old system, or have a system image backup stashed somewhere.

If that doesn’t work, your last option is to install Windows 8 in a virtual machine on your Windows 10 system—if you can get your hands on a product key and the older system discs. It’s a pain, but a VM will work surprisingly well for those times when only Windows 8 will do.
See above, have gone back to WIN 8.1 and looks good.

Ask a Question