How do I keep my desktop icons from moving around?

Reaction score
In previous versions of Windows my desktop icons stayed where I put them. Not sure when it started but my icons relocate themselves over time through no action on my part. How do I keep this from happening?

Reaction score
Right click the desktop and select "View"
You may find you have the auto arrange feature selected-

Reaction score
If in any case windows is not allowing you to manage your desktop items. Probably the main reason behind that is you must have checked the "auto arrange" option in "view" item. You can see the "view" item by clicking anywhere in the desktop and simply right click there.

Reaction score
I trust Windows to do only one thing and that is to cause me grief and I'm rarely disappointed. I have had the same problem with the icons moving around. Do a search on the internet for a little download called IconRestorer. Download it, Install it, and run it. It's very easy to use. I have to use it almost every time Windows does an update and it works great. Hope it helps you as much as it has helped me.

Reaction score
The only thing I can think of, is something is changing your desktop resolution (such as gaming). Your icons will move to stay within desktop space. This prevents the icons from going off the screen.

Reaction score
In previous versions of Windows my desktop icons stayed where I put them. Not sure when it started but my icons relocate themselves over time through no action on my part. How do I keep this from happening?

Bruce:
I had the same problem. Then I found this.

" Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoSaveSettings"=hex(3):00,00,00,00 "

Paste it, w/o the quotes, into a text file, save as reg.
like this Lockicons.reg
Double click to run.
Hope it works well for you.

Reaction score
Right click the desktop and select "View"
You may find you have the auto arrange feature selected-
I have the same problem from time to time with my desktop items and auto arrange is not selected.

Reaction score

There is a freeware application called "Desktop Restore" by Jamie O’Connell available from http://www.midiox.com that can keep track of icon location, even on multiple desktops .

Reaction score
Download a small program called DesktopOK. Put your icons where you want them and this program will hold them in place. W10 is notorious for this little aggravation.

Reaction score
I solved this issue several years ago when I installed "ICONOID". It has worked perfectly since. You can download it safely from "download.com" a CNET web site.

Over the years CNET has reduced their bloatware AND if there is any you can opt out during the install process but before the software is actually installed. Just notice the options they display, if any. Attached JPG screen shots will help set-up after installation.

Attachments

• iconoid1.JPG
    iconoid1.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 438
  • iconoid2.JPG
    iconoid2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 462
Reaction score
I’m sure there are several small programs to keep icons in place. I would say, however, that Microsoft should do this within its own program of W10 which it pushed on everybody.

Reaction score
How true but they haven't resolved this in years so don't expect they will. At least there is a solution.

Reaction score
Puzzled over this since your first post. I had not heard of, or experienced it, but, I played around a bit, and thought a little after Cliff's post
Maybe not the resolution though, but the size of your icons. I have no idea why they are (possibly) too large,but try this.
Hold the control key down, and, with the mouse, move the scroll wheel up slowly. This will reduce the size of the icons, which I am thinking is your problem.

Reaction score
I tried reducing the icon size a few years ago and in my case it didn't work even with the smallest icon but for a few times. Another possible cause...I save links in another browser and then drag them to the desktop. Of course using Edge you can't drag favs to desktop.

Just to clarify when I initally start the computer the icons still jump around but "iconoid" places them back automatically during the start-up process (I have Iconoid do this automatically) but there is a choice between auto reset or manual reset).

Reaction score
Bruce, read my post today, above, 9:06am. That has worked for me for several years. I wouldn't hold my breath for Microsoft to solve this issue. My suggestion above works.

Reaction score
Pity, but Bruce seems to have gone.
If a free third party utility can solve the program, then surely it can be done manually?
Maybe Trident's suggestion?
Maybe another possibility is the offerings in "sort by"

Reaction score
Pity, but Bruce seems to have gone.
If a free third party utility can solve the program, then surely it can be done manually?
Maybe Trident's suggestion?
Maybe another possibility is the offerings in "sort by"

True but I and many others, I'm sure, are not comfortable manipulating the registry. One mistake can be a really big deal. Good luck to all.

Ask a Question