SOLVED How do I rename Network 2 to Network 1

Reaction score
Just upgraded to Win 10 and kept losing internet access.
After troubleshooting my home network is now named "Network 2".
How do I change the name to "Network 1 " please???

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That is called a "Network Profile Name" and can be changed by editing the Windows Registry here
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\Profiles

You will likely have more than one so, inspect them all and confirm that you are editing the correct one and do not already have a "Network 1"
Then just simply click on the "ProfileName" for "Network 2" and edit it to "Network 1"
Log off and back on or simply reboot.

NOTE: Using the Windows Registry Editor can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct them. It cannot be guaranteed that any problems resulting from the use of the Windows Registry Editor can be solved. If you choose to edit the Windows Registry please understand that you do so at your own risk so unless you feel fairly comfortable and confident you should probably not use the Editor. Changes made to the Windows Registry can take effect immediately and those that do not will take effect following the next reboot of your computer, and a current backup is not automatically made for you....So manually create a system restore point, backup the registry and export the key you are editing for safe keeping before doing so.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear it.
Thanks for posting back with the update.

Reaction score
Is it safe then to delete the other profile? Would you have to still rename Network 2 or would it automatically become Network when "Network 1" was deleted.

Ask a Question