How do I stop the Windows 10 nag screen on Windows 8.1?

Reaction score
I reverted back (see other posts for why) to 8.1. Every time I resume from sleep or reboot, I get a nag screen at the bottom right of my screen telling me it's a really good idea to upgrade.

Is there a way to stop this? It's not super irritating, but it is a bit annoying

Alan

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe it is associated with KB3035583, so......
Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> View Installed Updates
Find it -> Uninstall it
And when it returns, which it will, right click it and "hide update".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Heck.....
Perhaps I don't understand which nag screen you are referring to.
If you are talking about the install, which I have never seen, then perhaps
You might have to delete the downloaded file, weird file starting with a $ and hidden in the root of C:\
And take a look at scheduled tasks any references to Get Windows 10 / GWX.exe the global task library as well as down in the Microsoft -> Windows Tasks
I suspect that if you reserved and or had that app on your computer there are still some remnants left around.
Pretty sure that there are related registry entries and I believe it even installs itself in your system32 folder.
So being completely rid of that may be a difficult task and require more than what I was assuming was just the KB (knowledgebase) update.

Reaction score
Its a screen that comes up every time I resume from sleep or hibernate. I think it's because I uninstalled Windows 10 but now that I am back at Windows 8.1, it has downloaded the update and wants me to do something.

Alan

Ask a Question