SOLVED How do you add a new folder in the navigation pane in File Explorer under 'This PC?’

Reaction score
Okay Reg, all that has finally sunk in! How on earth did you learn all this stuff? Amazing!

One other thing that I have noticed. I don't know whether this is down to me somehow inadvertently making this happen, whether it is down to using your tool that has caused this situation or it has been caused by another Windows update.

If you look at the thumbnail below, just below 'This PC' in my File Explorer's Navigation Pane, there is a folder there that I'm sure was not there before. It is showing a folder icon and named C:\. In it is exactly the same folders & files as in my Local Disk (C:\) as shown further down in the Navigation Pane.

How could this have got there in the first place?

I surely do not need 2, C: drives do I?

Can you give me steps on how I can remove this folder from the Navigation Pane please?

Thanks

HB

Attachments

• C Drive Showing.jpg
    C Drive Showing.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 521
Reaction score
I am sure Regedit can give an answer, but I think it is possibly because of your additions in "This PC". All the items in there are effectively shortcuts to other parts of the PC.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Is that what it is? It's just that I have never seen it before on top like that. Is it really necessary having 2 C drives like that?

If it is unnecessary, then I would like to know how to get rid of the one at the top. I have tried right clicking it but there is no "Delete" in the menu.

Thanks

HB

Regedit32

Reaction score
It is showing a folder icon and named C:\

Hi again,

The Application I coded could be used to create such an entry, but currently I've coded it to place a new folder creation in Alphabetical order, so given it is appearing above the 3D Objects, then it will not be related to the application I coded.

I've not seen such an occurrence while testing various Windows pre_releases, so must confess its a bit of a mystery to me too.

If it's bothering you, you can open your Registry Editor and:
  • in the left pane navigate to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID
  • Right-click on CLSID and select Find and type C:\ in the Find what field, check the Data box and also check the Match whole string only box as in sample image below, then click Find.
img1.png

You may need to tap F3 a few times to repeat the search but when you eventually find a GUID that is a sub-hive of CLSID whose (Default) value in the right pane has a Data value of C:\ then in the address bar select the GUID including the { } and copy, then click Edit > Find and paste the GUID including the { } into the Find what field, then check the Keys box and remove any other checks, then click Find.

After a few seconds it ought to take you to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MyComputer\NameSpace\{ < the GUID you are searching for > }

Right-click on the GUID in the left pane and select delete but only if it is at the location above

That will unpin it from the Navigation pane but leave its CLSID in tact, which would be wise to do given we are not sure how it got there and thus whether its needed by some application.​

Reaction score
You could but you may need to manually modify the Registry to change the TargetFolderPath Data value.

For example:

View attachment 7804

I'll see what I can do about offering a way to setup directories on the Users chosen File Path in a future version.

Hi Reg,

Your last set of instructions worked! The C:\ Drive folder icon disappeared from the top of my Navigation Pane after I rebooted the PC. Thanks for the advice.

There is just one thing now that didn't work that you gave me instructions on.

To try to get the new folder in the Navigation Pane put into my 'D' drive, I followed your instructions above.

This is what I did to modify the registry.

I right clicked the TargetFolderPath under 'Name' and then clicked 'Modify'..

Then I manually changed the C:\Screenshots to D:\Screenshots.

When I did this and then rebooted the PC, when I clicked on the Screenshots icon in the Navigation Pane, I am being told that the location D:\Screenshots is unavailable. If the location is on this PC, make sure the device or drive is connected or the disc is inserted and try again. If the location is on a network, make sure you're connected to the network or Internet, and then try again. If the location still can't be found, it might have been moved or deleted.

I also had a look in my Storage Drive (D) but there was no 'Screenshots' folder in there.

Have I done something wrong here? If so, can you give me a set of instructions on how to do this properly so that this folder is put in the Storage Drive D Drive?

Thanks

HB

Regedit32

Reaction score
Could you clarify what your D drive is?
  • a second partition of your hard drive
  • a second hard drive slaved to your main drive
  • an external drive connected via USB

Reaction score
My D drive is a storage drive as opposed to my C drive that is a solid state drive and separate to my D drive.

In answer to your question, it is a 2nd hard drive (that I use only for storage of my Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos & Downloads). This is the drive that I want the new 'Screenshots' folder on, not on the C drive as it is now. My C drive is only used for applications.

So it is not a 2nd partition of my hard drive nor is it an external drive connected via USB.

Hope that clears things up?

Thanks

HB

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
Assuming you modified the TargetFolderPath and replaced the original Data value of C:\Screenshots with D:\Screenshots, you will need to also open File Explorer and navigate to C:\ then:
  • Right-click on Screenshots folder and select Cut, then
  • Navigate to D:\ and paste the folder here
You may need to then restart computer for changes to take effect.​

Reaction score
As simple as that! I should have known that myself.

Thank you so much for all the help Reg and don't stop doing what you do.

Please let me know when you have made the next version of this little tool hopefully incorporating all the necessary adjustments we have been talking about.

HB

Regedit32

Reaction score
You're Welcome Heathsideboy.

If you feel your original post is now resolved don't forget to mark your thread as Solved.

I'll let you know when I've updated the ThisPCModifier script.

Reaction score
This is a message for Regedit32.

Sorry to open up this thread after marking it solved but there is one more thing I need to point out.

The Screenshots folder is shown in the File Explorer Navigation Pane, that's great.

However, I have noticed that when I want to attach a screenshot from my Screenshots folder to a Microsoft Outlook 2016 email message, the Screenshots folder is not shown in the Navigation Pane in this case.

Is this something else that you need to adjust in the new version of the 'ThisPCModifier' script.

Thanks

HB

Ask a Question