How do you uninstall a Windows 7 program in Windows 10?

Reaction score
I would like to uninstall two Windows 7 programs in Windows 10. They don't show up in the program list and I can't find a facility in Windows Explorer ( where I can find the files.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Perhaps, if you know the names of the two programs and can share that information here, there may be someone who might be able to offer a potential solution.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Perhaps, if you know the names of the two programs and can share that information here, there may be someone who might be able to offer a potential solution.

The problem is not with the programs - they are Notepad2 and Notepad++.
I did a search of this forum and found some solutions. I changed the default browser to Internet Explorer, then, in Firefox, clicked on the empty "set as default" box. Then I went back and selected Firefox. It doesn't show visually in system defaults but it's there. Now Windows doesn't show that annoying window saying something like "the browser is not the default.

Pending any further problems, I would consider this solved.

Reaction score
Check were the the Windows 7 programs are currently install. Have you checked in the Downloads? Firfox usually saves to Downloads folder. Typing the name in the search box should point you to the folder where they reside. If they are install file, you can safely delete them. Create a restore point if unsure if they may affect other dependent programs.

Reaction score
Sometimes try reinstalling the programs that don't show up in the programs list can successfully find and remove them in Programs and Features. Or you can modify the Windows registry (like mentioned in the Method 3 in this post) and delete the registry keys and files of the Windows 7 programs. Or try some free uninstaller like Revo uninstaller.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback! I am getting used to 10 day by day. I'll just have to find the program I'm trying to delete. Maybe IObit's uninstaller might work.

BTW, it isn't the uninstall that bothers me, it's that apparently Windows 10 didn't bring the program along from Windows 7.

Last edited:

Ask a Question