'How do you want to open this file' not working

Reaction score
I recently had a HDD crash and after reinstalling everything including Win 10 Pro and MS Office 2007, I noticed a new problem. Actually a nuisance more than a problem.

I first noticed the problem in Excel, but it presents anywhere that a jpg file is hotlinked.

Here's the flow... I scan every invoice or bill that comes int my house into jpeg files. Every file is serial-numbered, and in Excel, I have a description and a hotlink to that document. This has worked for years. I click on the hotlink and the document image opens in Windows Photo Viewer (my default for all jpg files).

After the reinstall, I get asked 'How do you want to open this file' every time. 'Always use this app to open jpg files' box is checked, but apparently ignored, because the next time I click on a hotlink, I get asked again.

It does not matter what viewer program I select, the 'Always use...' flag is ignored. I can double-click on the image file in File Explorer and it opens as expected. It's only when the file is a hotlink that I am always asked "How do you want to open...".

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Isn't there a check box below the dialog "How do you want to open this file" if checked it will always use the same App to open the document.

Reaction score
Hi Steve,

look in Settings > Apps > Default Apps and set whatever to open your jpg files and see what happens. :)

default apps.jpg

Reaction score
While I appreciate both of your quick responses, Perhaps I didn't make myself clear. I clearly stated " 'Always use this app to open jpg files' box is checked, ..."
I also said that " I can double-click on the image file in File Explorer and it opens as expected. " which should imply that the viewer is properly set as the default. But I did recheck the default apps in case something changed them and they are still set to the program I want to open the images in.

And, as I said before, I get the same behavior regardless which image viewing app/program I set as the default.

Attachments

• default.jpg
    default.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 566

Ask a Question