How to config windows not to use the graphic chip?

Reaction score
I got a broken graphic-chip (got 6 displays). This is a dual boot system with linux mint and windows. Linux runs stable because it is not using the graphic chip (no correct driver). Windows keeps crashing, doing restores on each boot, never finishing them.
I would like to have a stable windows.

How to config so windows uses the main processor for graphics instead of the broken graphics chip?

Reaction score
You have not given us enough information so I am not sure I understand but I don't think this is a Windows issue (OS layer), but a hardware (HW layer) issue.

Is this integrated graphics, or a card? If a card, just pull it. If integrated, you can disable it in the BIOS, but then Linux will not be able to use it either.

Note with no correct driver, either OS should use generic VGA drivers.

Reaction score
If it a dead chip on a card that is not Linux compatibel then why not replace that card with one that is both Linux and Windows compatible?

6 displays? You have multiple cards?

Reaction score
its an integrated graphic chip. Reballing or new motherboard is too much money for this laptop. I am aware this is a hardware issue. But there might be a software workaround so thats why I ask.

2016-12-05%2017.09.47_zpsp6ghtqnc.jpg

this is when it still had xp on it.

Reaction score
Note that integrated is typically automatically disabled when a real graphics card is inserted. So it is likely you enabled integrated graphics manually, at some point. It will NOT say "card".

What is your motherboard brand and model number? How to add a card and disable integrated graphics should be in your manual. If you don't have your manual, you should be able to download it from your computer (if factory built) or motherboard maker if custom built.

Reaction score
I did not realize this was a notebook (my bad for not realizing that from your screen shot). How are you running 6 monitors from a notebook?

Reaction score
Okay, you said six displays in your opening post. The screen is normally used to mean the same thing as the display panel of a monitor.

So clearly we don't seem to be on the same page.

Do you want to see your 1 screen split into 6 images? Or do you want one image displayed on your 1 screen?

Note with a notebook, if you disable the integrated graphics, you will see nothing. You say Linux is not using the graphics chip but that is not true. All operating systems and all graphics solutions know how to work using generic drivers. Otherwise, it would be impossible to see what you are doing to install an OS in the first place.

Have you connected an external monitor to see if shows just one image?

Reaction score
sorry. English is not my first language.

You are right. Linux does also show 6 screens.

Yes I just want 1 screen on 1 monitor.

I tried an external monitor, but its not recognized when there are 6 screens. Last week I booted it and it just displayed 1 screen and it projected on a second screen no probs. But then it crashed. Rebooted, 6 screen again. I have also considered using a second monitor and then having the second monitor only displaying 1 screen using software, but the second monitor is not seen by windows (and linux) as long as it boots with 6 screens.

Reaction score
If the external monitor displays the same problem as the notebook's own monitor in Windows and Linux, then I am afraid this is a hardware issue, possibly irreparable. :( I think you should take it to a reputable shop and let them have a look.

Since the graphics solution is not a replaceable card, but is integrated into the motherboard, it most likely means it is time to shop for a new notebook. Replacing the motherboard is not likely cost effective.

The only other possible solution I can think of that might work (no promises!) is to use an USB video adapter to an external monitor.

Ask a Question