How to copy email contacts from Windows 10 to an Apple Ipad

Reaction score
Hi everybody, this is all new to me. I would like to copy all of my email contacts from my laptop (windows 10) to my new Apple air2 ipad. Does anyone know if this is possible? and if so how is it done? Can they all be copies together, or does it have to be done 1 at a time?

Thank you

desandi#15
Western Australia

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forums :). Which e-mail client are you using? Is it the Windows 10 mail app or something like Outlook?

Assuming you're using Outlook, the easiest way would probably be to use iCloud, as it's designed to sync contacts across devices. There's a Windows download available:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204283

If you're using another mail app, exporting your contacts as a CSV/vCard may be possible. You can then import these via the iCloud web interface from your PC.

Reaction score
Hi Ian. Thanks very much for offering your help. In answer to your question, I am using Windows 10 Live Mail which at my age (76) find very easy to use. Having said that, maybe I should broaden my experience and try changing over to Outlook. and iCloud , both of which which I have never used. Also, thanks for the link that you provided. I will check it out tomorrow morning. Please forgive my ignorance, but what is a CSV/vCARD ?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
A CSV means "comma separated value" file - it's a way of storing information from a simple database in a single file :).

If Windows Live Mail works well and you want to stick with it (it's free after all, which is nice!), then you may be able to export a CSV. I've not got an Apple device to test this with (nor do I use Windows Live Mail), but from doing some searching this may work. Other members here may be able to assist better though.

1. Open Windows Live Mail.
  2. Click Contacts folder, click Export button and select comma separated values (.CSV).
  3. In the CSV Export window click browse and select the Desktop folder.
  4. Type WLMContacts in the file name and then click the Save button.
  5. Click Next and select all the fields that you want to export, click Finish button and wait for the export process to be completed.

That should get your contacts exported. Then to import into your iCloud account, try this:

1. Log in to iCloud.com
  2. Click on Contacts, and then click on the gear icon in the lower left corner
  3. Click on Import CSV / vCard
  4. Upload the saved CSV file

Ask a Question