How to delete an Administrator Account

Reaction score
So I upgraded my Windows 7 to 10 a few weeks ago and have been loving it. Decided to upgrade my parents computer to it as well yesterday. When my mom wanted to play a Free Cell game they were asking me to log into a hotmail account. They only have an Aol email account. Figure I'd sign into mine really quick and that would be the last I'd heard of it. Unfortunately now the computer associates a random hotmail account of mine that I have lying around as their main "administrator" account. What's worse, now they need to use my password whenever they turn the computer now.

That's really silly How do I delete my administrator hotmail account from their computer? I don't want them to deal with having to remember a password for an account I rarely use myself. Its their computer, not mine.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
First, it is probably important to determine that their former account that they had been using to log in to the computer is still present and viable and is a member of the local administrator's group.
A good way to do this is to simply have them log off your account and when they are presented with the sign-in screen any other useable accounts on the system should be located in the bottom left to choose from.
IF not then it's likely that the two (your MS Account and their, former local user account) have been linked, in which case you'll need to access accounts through the "Settings" menu and choose to "Sign in with a local account instead".
It's critically important that they know the password for their former account and that, that former account was a member of the local administrator's group.

After that, you should be able to go to Control Panel -> User Accounts -> Manage another account (link just to the left of the account you are seeing) and select it and then choose "Delete the account".
You will not have that option if you're using the account you are attempting to delete.

Just to be doubly safe you may want to temporarily enable the hidden Administrator's account to assure you have some means of recovering in the event of unintended consequences.
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
net user administrator /active:yes
hit enter
you should see something like the command completed successfully.
Afterward, if everything goes as planned just disable the hidden administrator's account by typing
net user administrator /active:no

Ask a Question