SOLVED How to delete old Windows 7 Homegroup

Reaction score
I had a Homegroup defined on Windows 7 Professional before upgrading to Windows 10 Professional. The annoying thing is right now I don't have an option to create a new homegroup, I only have an option to join the homegroup that was created on this same machine in Windows 7. The problem is I don't know the password and I'm not giving the option of changing the password or removing the Homegroup. Is there anything I can do to get out of this situation?

Reaction score
Go around all your machines and 'leave the homegroup' Boot them all. You should find that the homegroup will evaporate when there are no more members. It may take another boot each machine. One of the machines should then give an option to create a homegroup and there you are...

Reaction score
I think the problem is that the op no longer had windows 7 - that was upgraded.

I would say, first option, is to open, in the run box, Services.msc
Scroll down and disable both of the homegroup entries.
Restart the computer, and see if that has removed your old home groups.

If not, you may have to go down to:
I deleted the entire contents of the "C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking"

Move (not copy) the entire Peernetworking folder.. This is a precaution, in the event you need to restore it. You may find you need to change the security privileges, in order to get down to the subfolder.

Ask a Question