How to disable login screen on Win 10

Reaction score
How can I get rid of the login requirement when booting into Win 10. It is bad enough that it DEMANDS a login on a home personal PC (If someone is in my house then I have been broken into), BUT MS goes farther and insists it has to be a passwork of a certain strength containing this many characters and so many upper and numeric - there has to be a way to defeat this. I tried leaving the field blank and it will have nothing to do with that.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

Image 3.png

Reaction score
David's tip is the answer. But, I do have to comment on your post. I agree, strongly. I and many others, have been complaining about this for a long while. First, it should be my option whether I want to use a password, not a third party. It is certainly an infringement of freedom, to then insist that the password should have certain characteristics. It would be more acceptable if MS allowed the installation to take us straight into the desktop, and only then off us the option to secure it.
Anyway, with David's tip, that is what you will achieve.
Microsoft, and, in particular, since Windows 8, offer a string of options which you tick or untick. What would suit me, would be to see an unadorned and unsecure installation and, right at the end of the installation, a string of security options which we could choose or disregard. But, I think MS policy is to cater for the lowest common denominator, and they would quickly get a reputation on the subject of poor security, if the average joe did not even bother to read through those options.

Reaction score
If you are asking to be able to login automatically without entering your password, then use this method.

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
I am not sure what the prompts are supposed to look like it took me to here
users_zps1e3e614c.jpg

If I go to the advanced tab I see this

useraccountadvanced_zpsf8e29a50.jpg

Am I supposed to REMOVE the credentials for Windows? There really were no prompts when I RAN netplwiz

TRI42A3_zps1297681f.jpg

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just select your ".cox.net" account
uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a password....... "
Click OK and you'll get a box where you enter that password twice.
Click OK and you should be good to go, when you restart the computer

Do not remove your credentials

Reaction score
I am not sure what the prompts are supposed to look like it took me to here
users_zps1e3e614c.jpg

If I go to the advanced tab I see this

useraccountadvanced_zpsf8e29a50.jpg

Am I supposed to REMOVE the credentials for Windows? There really were no prompts when I RAN netplwiz

TRI42A3_zps1297681f.jpg

It was in the morning when I replied to you and I was a bit tired and losing concentration.
I omitted 2 steps on my instructions.
let me repost the method......

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > UN-check the box "users must enter user name and password to use this computer" > click OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.

Reaction score
It was in the morning when I replied to you and I was a bit tired and losing concentration.
I omitted 2 steps on my instructions.
let me repost the method......

On your windows 10 Start menu window, right click at the Win logo > select Run option > in the Run box type netplwiz > OK > UN-check the box "users must enter user name and password to use this computer" > click OK > follow the prompts.
Restart Win 10.
I must have been BLIND, or my PC doesn't have that box!!! Will try again

Reaction score
............ my PC doesn't have that box............
Which box you don't have ?

Sure you do. You showed that in your screenshot.

Reaction score
I wonder how secure the login password requirement is. Several years ago I had just moved into my present house and within a couple weeks was broken into and robbed of some stuff including my computer. I had just completed my tax return and hadn't yet removed it from the computer. Fortunately the information was never used and I imagine the drive was just formatted and games installed. I don't think I used a login password at the time. Is a login password enough to stop a determined thief with average computer skills from gaining access to a computer and its personal files? If not, isn't a password a kind of useless requirement? Your computer could disappear from your home at any time unless you have fortified your castle against burglars so some sort of security for your files should be in place. I know if the drive or computer wound up in the hands of a determined, expert hacker it could probably be easily accessed but how about the run of the mill thief who is only looking for a nice computer to use or sell for drug money?

Reaction score
" Is a login password enough to stop a determined thief with average computer skills from gaining access to a computer and its personal files?"

No.

It is very simple to bypass that particular password. It is mainly to prevent other users in a multi, or family environment from nosing into your data.

Reaction score
............ my PC doesn't have that box............
Which box you don't have ?

Sure you do. You showed that in your screenshot.
Ok, I was so agitated about being FORCED to enter a password that I have not booted into Win 10 since Oct. I tried to get in this morning and it would not take the password I customarily use for nuisance demands for passwords and it will not let me past the login screen.

DOES THIS MEAN I WILL HAVE TO DO A COMPLETE REINSTALL IF I WANT TO REVIEW WIN 10 FURTHER? I understand there is an update, AND I never got around to checking/unchecking the box requiring the login password.

What a mess. I really see no reason to leave Win 7 Ultimate at this juncture but I am still curious, BUT Mircrosoft is not making my experience very "user friendly" to say the least

Any way I can disable the password requirement PRE-login screen?

Reaction score
quote..... I tried to get in this morning and it would not take the password I customarily use.......
quote.....Any way I can disable the password requirement PRE-login screen?.........

Not anymore. If the system rejects your usual password, the method of bypassing password login is no longer applicable to you.

Sounds like you were on the 1st version of Win 10 TP.
The version has been updated twice since day one.
First version is build 9841.
2nd version is build 9860.
3rd version, the latest, is build 9879.

I would suggest that you re-install the first version, install all windows updates, then proceed to build 9860, install all updates, then to build 9879.

Reaction score
You can also forego build 9841 and 9860 and go straight to latest build 9879. But that is Build 9879 Enterprise version.
This can be done by downloading the 9879 ISO > burn it to a bootable DVD and use the DVD to install.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-technical-preview-for-enterprise?i=1
You can also use these direct download links :

I would suggest that you either install the Win 10 TP in dual boot format, or install it in a virtual machine.
Don't give up you Win 7 Ultimate yet.

Reaction score
What you need to do is go to PC settings> users and accounts> the detach your email from your account. this will allow you to have a local account with no password.
It worked for me build 9841

Reaction score
Ok, I was so agitated about being FORCED to enter a password that I have not booted into Win 10 since Oct. I tried to get in this morning and it would not take the password I customarily use for nuisance demands for passwords and it will not let me past the login screen.

DOES THIS MEAN I WILL HAVE TO DO A COMPLETE REINSTALL IF I WANT TO REVIEW WIN 10 FURTHER? I understand there is an update, AND I never got around to checking/unchecking the box requiring the login password.

What a mess. I really see no reason to leave Win 7 Ultimate at this juncture but I am still curious, BUT Mircrosoft is not making my experience very "user friendly" to say the least

Any way I can disable the password requirement PRE-login screen?

If security is not of prime concern to you then I cannot understand why you wish to try out a new OS. 95% of windows updates are to do with security which should show you why they try to upgrade it. If you don't like the system they offer by default have you tried the alternatives which they have made available which simplify the process considerably. I could get fed up with the number of people I have to help out of problems they cause for themselves by avoiding basic security (but I don't because I have to make a living somehow). You would be amazed at the number of people who rely on ONE password for everything, yet hide their bank pin number.

Reaction score
Thats pretty easy man.... it hardly takes 3-4 minutes to do so. Just read the steps mentioned in this article and you will get rid of it easily.

edit: Link Removed

1.The OP's question had been answered on October 6th, 2014.
I think you are about 5 months late.

2. The " netplwiz " method has been known and published since the days of Vista.
I think you are about 10 years late publishing the old method in your website.

3. If you wish to promote your website, it will be better served if you find a question that has not been solved and share your knowledge to the OP and everyone reading it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
I used this feature heavily on Windows 7. Would have it automatically log in, then run a script to lock the workstation. That way, my apps and system tray programs could continue loading and Windows Update could do it's thing while the workstation was locked. Miss that ability in Windows 8.

Reaction score

Restart Win 10.

View attachment 19
Also to disable sign in from Sleep option go to settings,System and you can change it from there

Reaction score
Yes, with Windows 8.1 this method works, but it doesn't seem to with Windows 10 Preview with Build 10122. I changed the setting so as to not require a password at Windows startup, but it continues to insist that I enter a password before I can do anything. I checked the settings, and it is set to no password required. Several days later now, and nothing has changed. Password needed, regardless of what it ways in the settings.

Reaction score
Well, build 10130 is downloading now, so I'll see if that build makes any difference. I'm outta here until tomorrow.

Ask a Question