How to enable Show search icon for all users in Windows 10

Reaction score
I already know how to enable it for current/logged in user but I want to enable it for all users that login to this computer.
This allows only current logged in profile:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
0 = Hidden
1 = Show search or Cortana icon
2 = Show search box

Thanks!

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

To clarify, are you wanting the Cortana disabled and only have the magnifying glass ( Search ) icon appear on the Taskbar?

If yes then do the following:
  • Type cmd into the Search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When the User Account Control dialog appears, click Yes
  • Now at the Administrator: Command Prompt type, or copy & paste the following command:

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Press Enter key to execute the above command

• Type exit and press Enter key to close the Administrator: Command Prompt.
  • Close any other open applications
  • Restart computer for change to take affect

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have followed your steps but could not find Windows Search
Yes, I want to use Show search icon as default for all users (don't want to use Show search box)
show search icon.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
Note: I have edited this post from earlier on today. I misread your image, and then mistyped my instructions. This is why I gave you the elevated command-line post earlier; it's easy to get confused inside the Registry Editor. Anyway, if you are intent on modifying the Registry using the Registry Editor tool, then this updated post now contains the relevant information pertaining to your last post.

It's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
  • After navigating to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    • If you do not see a subkey named Windows Search then:
      • Right-click on Windows and select New > Key
      • Name the new key Windows Search
    • Now do the following:
    • Left-click on Windows Search hive to highlight it
    • Now in right pane you simply right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) value
    • Name the new DWORD AllowCortana
    • Set the Data value for AllowCortana to 0
    • Press F5 key to refresh Registry
    • Close Registry Editor
    • Restart computer for change to take affect.

Regards,

Regedit32

Last edited:
Reaction score
You are in the wrong location -> just follow your steps in path below
Code:
REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search" /v AllowCortana /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

I tried with new path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search but this is not the solution
It is showing search box as highlight read color
1.jpg

I just want to show search icon as screenshot below, please help.

2.jpg

Many thanks

Regedit32

Reaction score
Sorry about my mistyping - hopefully the update which corrected that error will allow you to achieve your intended goal.

Regedit32

Reaction score
As I stated I mistakenly left out policies in my previous post. If you re-read that post, you will see I corrected it and told you how to add the Windows Search subkey to the Windows hive located at HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows

In your last reply your edit did not work because you added the AllowCortana DWORD value in the incorrect location, probably because of my earlier post which contained that path. Thus read that edited post again, and you'll see how to make the change.

Reaction score
Note: I have edited this post from earlier on today. I misread your image, and then mistyped my instructions. This is why I gave you the elevated command-line post earlier; it's easy to get confused inside the Registry Editor. Anyway, if you are intent on modifying the Registry using the Registry Editor tool, then this updated post now contains the relevant information pertaining to your last post.

It's HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
  • After navigating to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
    • If you do not see a subkey named Windows Search then:
      • Right-click on Windows and select New > Key
      • Name the new key Windows Search
    • Now do the following:
    • Left-click on Windows Search hive to highlight it
    • Now in right pane you simply right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) value
    • Name the new DWORD AllowCortana
    • Set the Data value for AllowCortana to 0
    • Press F5 key to refresh Registry
    • Close Registry Editor
    • Restart computer for change to take affect.

Regards,

Regedit32

Yes, I have tried as your updated steps but doesn't work, please find screenshot below

it is showing search box
3.jpg

I just want to show search icon, any ideas?

2.jpg

Regedit32

Reaction score
It looks like Microsoft have deprecated the Registry tweak yet again.

In lieu of this, if you right-click on the Taskbar and select Search > Show search icon you'll see a magnifying glass instead of the search box.

Reaction score
It looks like Microsoft have deprecated the Registry tweak yet again.

In lieu of this, if you right-click on the Taskbar and select Search > Show search icon you'll see a magnifying glass instead of the search box.

I know this step but I don't want use it, I want to apply for ALL user not for only current logged.

-----

I already know how to enable it for current/logged in user but I want to enable it for all users that login to this computer.
This allows only current logged in profile:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
0 = Hidden
1 = Show search or Cortana icon
2 = Show search box

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well given it appears Microsoft have deprecated the Windows Search > AllowCortana DWORD option, you will have to apply your known method to each individual User account (i.e. log into each account and apply the method you know works).

Reaction score
it's solved by steps below:

I added the script to logon in the GPO and it is work fine.

REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v SearchboxTaskbarMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

1.jpg

Attachments

• SearchboxTaskbarMode.txt
    119 bytes · Views: 774
Reaction score
it's solved by steps below:

I added the script to logon in the GPO and it is work fine.

REG ADD HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search /v SearchboxTaskbarMode /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

View attachment 11008

Hello, so I'm not a tech user or support, just an average end user who just bought a new laptop and it doesn't appear to support search "ICON" and I don't know why. What I want to do is to disable Cortana and enable a search icon. I do not want a search box which is large and takes up way too much space on the task bar and can't be manually adjusted in size. Is there a solution for me?

Thank you!

Ask a Question