How To Get Back Desktop and D Drive Data after Windows 10 Installation

Reaction score
Hello Guys

I am in trouble with my Windows 10 PC. Below is my problem description:

My ASUS Laptop Model Number: UX303U Notebook PC

When I bought it from the shop, they gave me the backup of windows 10 in a pen drive. A few days back I reinstall windows 10 by booting the PC from pen drive. But before that, I Disable “secure boot menu option ” and Enable “ Launch CSM” . Then I follow the installation instruction as usual.

Now after the installation finished I found that there is only one drive ( C drive ) in the pc !! All my D drive data and desktop files are gone!!

Total headbang situation.

Is there any way I can get back my D drive data and desktop data?

Any expert here?

Reaction score
One outside possibility. I have no idea how the backup given to you, was designed, but , maybe, if you browse, You will find a folder called Windows.old I am doubting this, as there is more than one partition involved (The second by yourself?) but worth a shot.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Welcome to forums.

In the unlikely event Windows 10 has left your D: drive uninitialised, can you first of all look under disk management and confirm there are no other disks that maybe left uninitialised?

Use Windows+R to open Run window. Then type "Diskmgmt.msc" and click "OK" or hit "Enter" key.

If you see any other disks in there try to right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.

Note: You must be an administrator at least to be able to do this.

Take a screenshot of the disk management screen and attach to your reply.

Reaction score
actually, after inspecting the disk management section, I can see that there is only one Drive there ( C drive). It looks like this:

Volume: Windows C

Layout: Simple

Type: Basic

File System: NTFS

Capacity : 930 GB

Free Space : 891.99 GB

Free : 96 % free

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Well, if it was D: was a a partition of C: you are almost lost if not completely lost.

Undelete have a nice guide that maybe help.

See http://www.active-undelete.com/howto_recover_from_deleted.htm

There are other softwares that offer similar solutions, but it is important that you avoid wring data to that disk, to maximize chances of recovery, since data that has been overwritten decreases chances of recovery.

Lets see if anyone else has other suggestion, but short of professional data recovery your options are limited.

Ask a Question