SOLVED How To Get Into Administrator In Windows 10

Reaction score
I needed to do something in Windows 10 and I needed to be in administrator. But I haven't the faintest ideal how to do that. Windows 7 was easy. Can anyone help, I would appreciate it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "administrator".
There is practically no difference between Windows 7 and 10 with respect to that issue.
First of all, are you running Windows 10 Pro or Home.
Second of all....
Go to control panel (right click the start button and select it from the context menu), -> User Accounts
Take a look at your account. Does it have the word "Administrator" below your account name??
Finally....
I needed to do something in Windows 10 and I needed to be in administrator
What were you attempting to do?

Reaction score
Depends on what you mean by "administrator".
There is practically no difference between Windows 7 and 10 with respect to that issue.
First of all, are you running Windows 10 Pro or Home.
Second of all....
Go to control panel (right click the start button and select it from the context menu), -> User Accounts
Take a look at your account. Does it have the word "Administrator" below your account name??
Finally....

What were you attempting to do?

The word administrator isn't there and neither is my name. What I was attempting to do was roll back that driver on my mouse that you corrected the problem on. But in case I need to make some changes and I need to be in administrator I would like to know how. Also I don't know if I am in Pro or Home. I found it, I am in Home.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You don't see anything like this when you check your User Account in Control Panel.

Capture.JPG

Can you launch an admin command prompt?
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Are you prompted for admin credentials?
Do you get an error?
Do you see this

Capture2.JPG

Reaction score
You don't see anything like this when you check your User Account in Control Panel.

View attachment 2313

Can you launch an admin command prompt?
Right click the Start Button and choose Command Prompt (Admin)
Are you prompted for admin credentials?
Do you get an error?
Do you see this

View attachment 2314

I did finally find what you were asking. I had to click on user account twice. And it says Debbie- Local account- Administrator - Password protected.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That should be sufficient to perform most any task that you would typically encounter on Windows 10, as long as you are a member of the local administrator's group (and you are), you should be good to go.
You may occasionally be prompted by your UAC (User Account Control) settings when you attempt some tasks. Normally you would just answer that prompt in the affirmative by clicking yes, or ok or continue, etc.

Reaction score
That should be sufficient to perform most any task that you would typically encounter on Windows 10, as long as you are a member of the local administrator's group (and you are), you should be good to go.
You may occasionally be prompted by your UAC (User Account Control) settings when you attempt some tasks. Normally you would just answer that prompt in the affirmative by clicking yes, or ok or continue, etc.

So are you saying I am in administrator all the time with Windows 10? The reason I question this is because when I wanted to roll back the driver I downloaded, it would not let me because the shaded area that says roll back was not lite up. And to roll this back it had to be lite up and it told you that you had to be in administrator for it to be lite up, to do this. So this is why this is confusing to me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The fact that the "roll back driver" was not illuminated simply means that there was no previous driver to roll back to.
AND
Unless Device Manager is indicating a problem with a specific device driver, I think it would be best to leave well enough alone for now.

Reaction score
The fact that the "roll back driver" was not illuminated simply means that there was no previous driver to roll back to.
AND
Unless Device Manager is indicating a problem with a specific device driver, I think it would be best to leave well enough alone for now.

Actually that roll back problem was fixed so I guess this administrator problem is solved also. Thank you again, now on to the next. I have had so many problems and I ended up with a few more since I downloaded new drivers. So thank you for your help

Ask a Question