How to keep a partition icon as it should be.

Reaction score
Each week, I clone my system to one of four partitions on a larger drive. So these partitions get basically the same content. However the icon in Explorer for the second partition turns into one for a CDrom at every clone. I have a program that can restore the correct icon, but that is effective only till the next time I clone to that partition. How can I prevent that partition icon reverting to one for CDrom ? The phenomenon is not confined to that drive with 4 partitions. Sometimes USB stick icons also show as the one for CDrom. I've discovered that the icon gets reset at each cloning, because the correction is caused by two files which get deleted when I format the partition before cloning to it :
Autorun.inf
Drive.ico

So that leaves the question - why does this partition 'naturally assume' the CD icon ?

Reaction score
Just a guess but are there music files on the drive? I have a couple of NAS drives on my network and Win10 automatically set them in File Explorer to be identified as Media Devices and as Storage.

Ask a Question