How to keep regedit changes from being overwritten on startup?

Reaction score
In a nutshell, the situation is that I have a Dell business PC with UEFI enabled and set up to only display logon for the last logged in user, who had been the only user on the machine before she was let go; as a side note, this user does not appear when running 'net user' from the cmd line which leads me to suspect it is an MS cloud account, but in any case I am attempting to change the settings so that other users can login, or more specifically, a list of users or just the option to login as a different user.

I have come across any number of well constructed registry fixes to change various start up options or displays, but whatever I put in just keeps getting overwritten on startup, for example, here' the most recent fix I tried;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\UserSwitch

Changed value of the key enabled from 0 to 1, which would nominally be enough to bring up a regular login.

Next, I went into SYSTEM user permissions on the same registry folder, which I assumed was the account the changes were being overwritten with on startup and revoked access.

So what happened?

The changes were wiped out the same as before on startup. HELP!!

To be clear, if anyone knows some simple fix to what I'm describing I'll be happy to try it. Thanks for taking the time to read through it.

Ask a Question