How to make Miracast available?

Dai

Reaction score
My PC does not support Miracast. Is this because of incorrect settings or is my hardware not ready for it?

In attachment you find the file with all the details of my PC.

If my hardware turns out to be outdated what can I change/add to make Miracast work?

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,337

Dai

Reaction score
I also have a Wireless Adaptor plugged in (in my PC). Maybe I can use Miracast using that adaptor?

Reaction score
I wish I could help you out but I have never been able to get Miracast to work. I have gotten the Intel Widi to work using an appropriate receiving device.

I can't even find out for sure whether Miracast is still a viable option in Windows 10. But what are you trying to connect to? If you click the Project button in the Notifications do any wireless displays show up?

Dai

Reaction score
My brandnew Samsung Smart TV should be the receiver. When I click the Project button I get a list of possibilities but no matter what I choose nothing happens.

In "Connected Devices" my TV is recognized as a Play Device.

Reaction score
I did a search for "Miracast, hoiw to use" and got some You Tube videos. Maybe one of those would help. Make note of the date and OS of the system being used to see if Win 10 is mentioned.

In some situations there may be some type of Digital Rights Management involved.

Dai

Reaction score
Yeah. In this case the Miracast is already working. He's just setting up the connection. In my case Miracast is "not available" although all the prerequisites are met (I think so)

Reaction score
Is there something you need to download? One video was referring to an app on a phone, would that be necessary in Win 10.

You saw the part where he set the TV for mirroring. Does your TV have that same option and you have a wireless adapter which is available for that specific purpose?

You might run by the Nvidia site and check on Miracast and how it works, maybe something there would help.

Reaction score
My PC does not support Miracast. Is this because of incorrect settings or is my hardware not ready for it?

In attachment you find the file with all the details of my PC.

If my hardware turns out to be outdated what can I change/add to make Miracast work?
your pc does not support miracast, i have the same problem and it gives me headache, i contacted the manufacturer, they do not reply !

Reaction score
If you search the forum for Miracast you will find two threads I have contributed to about it.

So. Miracast is generally deprecated nowadays.

To be a recipient all you need is a Wifi device on your PC even if you normally use Ethernet.
To be a transmitter you need a compatible video card AND a compatible Wifi device and that it where it gets dodgy. My desktop has a supposedly compatible video card, Nvidia but I have 4 Wifi Dongles and none of them can cast. I have a theory that the Wifi card has to be on a fast bus not on USB, even USB 3. That would suggest that in a desktop that a PCIE or M2 Wifi card would work.

Modern Android phones will cast without any fiddling. I have a Nexus 5, a few years old now that works. iPhones cannot cast at all...software is not built in.

I have a laptop with Intel video and an a built in Intel Wifi card ( 2.4Ghz only) . This machine can cast and receive.

As for the other end. My dumb tv has a Roku device and a Microsoft Miracast receiver both plugged into my AVR rather than the TV itself. Either one can receive from my laptop. The laptop is using Ethernet to connect to the internet.

Note that the inbuilt card on the laptop is 2.4 Ghz only so to use Roku I have to change that to 2.4. I normally run on 5Ghz.

FWIW I usually just run an HDMI cable from the laptop to the AVR.

Ask a Question