How to put MS WIN 10 updates (not apps) on SD card...it will not take them...

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a way to get my occasional MS windows 10 updates to go to my SD card rather than my hard drive.
I have a simple computer I bought with only 32 GB of storage and although I can get my apps on the SD card the actual MS updates will not go there. I have no space left and need the updates to go to the card. Please help. Thank you.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It's not possible to install updates to the SD card unfortunately, as they're a crucial part of the main Windows file system (and will often replace, rather than supplement).

Which updates are you having trouble with? Is it one of the larger updates, like the Anniversary one?

How much free space do you have left on your system? You could try running "Disk Clean-up" from the start menu, as that is pretty good at recovering free space - especially when running the "clean up system files" option.

Reaction score
Last night about 10 updates came through and it could only give me 6 of them as I did not have enough space. I deleted what I could at the moment to allow the 6 to load. I'm right up to the 31 g mark and am now trying to figure out how to delete the apps like xbox which are not easily delete-able. I think I've got that figured out. I wish I had a list of what can be deleted without messing up the system to allow for more space. Does anyone have such a list?

I though putting downloads (like astrological software) in ONeDrive/Dropbox box would solve this problem but it seems to take up just as much space. The Disk clean up and file clean up is something I've been using but still never gives me much space. I did upgrade to the 1607 Windows and that took up a great deal of space. I deleted the old one. Still, this seems like a tough break as there will be updates coming in for the rest of my life and I won't be able to download them. This seems very much like a bad decision on the MS side.

32 GB is not enough space for basic regular updates....as they keep coming.

Any advice on what to do now? I could sure use it ! Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ccleaner portable version from here https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/portable
Does not require installation. Unzip it and run the 32 or 64 bit version as appropriate for your system architecture
See if that produces any more free space.
Another couple programs I use are
TFC from here http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/files/file/187-tfc-temp-file-cleaner-by-oldtimer/
ATF Cleaner from here http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/atf_cleaner.html
Generally they'll all find a few bits and bobs here and there that the other one misses.

Lastly
Open an elevated command prompt (Command Prompt Admin) and in the command prompt window type
cleanmgr /sageset:1
hit enter
give it a moment and then check all the boxes in the window that is produced and click OK
AND then type
cleanmgr /sagerun:1
hit enter
when it finishes type
exit
reboot your computer

See what you have for free space afterwards.

Reaction score
Thank you, Trouble. I went through all your links and I did free up a little bit of room but only about 1 GB. I am now in the process of deleting all the non-deletables, like xbox and this has given me another 2 gb which is helpful but certainly not enough. I don't use this laptop for much, but there are a few things I need on it including a few simple, free photo editing apps. I will still keep deleting everything which seems like it is unnecessary for my process.

Thank you for this help....I'm very grateful.

Reaction score
When I read the first post I was almost sure that he had some kind of tablet where one cannot upgrade to more storage space. Since he then mentioned it is a laptop, an upgrade as Trouble suggested is absolutely recommended.Just clone the current drive to the new one and you should be good to go. Worked for me...

Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion. I'm not sure my HP notebook is upgradeable for the hard drive although this looks like a super idea.
I did a crucial scan to see but they said they could not find anything upgradeable.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05201404 This is the actual product.

The only reason I bought this computer is because it was only $170 brand new at Target and I can't download astrological software to my Chromebook. Basically, all I do with this is run a few charts and and surf the web. I have a new windows 10 desktop which I was forced to buy (was running an old Vista Windows machine) because Vista is no longer supported by Chrome or MS anymore. I just needed something portable to be able to run charts on the road......but still, those MS updates are eating me alive !

Do you think this machine can be upgradeable? I put a question into HP about it but have not heard back either way.

Thank you.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Looks like it is definitely doable
Along with a memory upgrade as well.
Watch from the beginning and see what you think

Reaction score
Thank you Griz and Trouble....I have watched this good video and it scares the living daylights out of me. I'm pretty sure I could do the mechanics of it and put the new drive in but the technology side is WAY over my head. Is this drive you suggested a perfect fit for this machine? I have never put in a new drive before so this is all very new to me and it's quite humbling.

I noticed that this same computer is on sale at Target again today and I want to write a review telling people NOT to buy it ! I've been removing more apps and am now down to 24 gb which is a blessing but won't be enough with new updates coming in every week.

Thank you for you intelligent help. My head hurts.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure what to say to further advise you as to how to proceed.
Is it "a perfect fit"....... Nope, as the video shows, there is an area inside the case that allows room for a optical drive caddy, which you could instead use as a location for your hard drive replacement. The video suggests a piece of two sided tape or perhaps a spot of velcro to secure it. It also suggest that while unuseable for this purpose the optical drive caddy includes an interface adapter that you will need, as well as links under the video and other recommendations.
As far as the technical side, it suggests that you do a custom clean install of Windows 10 to the new SSD, by booting to the installation media on a USB thumb drive, wiping out all partitions and installing Windows 10 cleanly to the new drive.
It also suggests a memory upgrade while you are inside the computer, which I would also strongly support.
I'm pretty sure I could do the mechanics of it and put the new drive in
That's the hard part.
After that, it's just a matter of booting from the installation media that you have on USB and installing Windows 10 to the target "new" drive.
Looks like fun to me.
AND
You'll have a computer that you can actually use after you're done.

Reaction score
I suppose buying an external hard drive which just plugs in will not download the updates either? I'm assuming it won't but not sure. I'm thinking about the video and trying to muster up some courage but so far it's still in hiding.
Appreciate your help. I wish you were my neighbor and I could just walk over and have you work with it. (smiling)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I wish you were my neighbor and I could just walk over and have you work with it.
Now you just sound like....
My neighbor
My children
My grand children
My friends
My relatives
And evidently friends and or casual acquaintances of all of the above.
I often joke that I only hear from any of them..... when they are having computer problems.
I suppose buying an external hard drive which just plugs in will not download the updates either? I'm assuming it won't but not sure.
Nope the updates target a specific data structure both the Windows.old and $Windows.~BT use the root of C:\ and the Software Distribution folder is in the Windows folder also in the root of C:\

Last edited:
Reaction score
BTW, eMMC drives are neither hard disk drives, nor SSD drives.
Also, there are 2 models that at close, but not the same; the "3" will be higher priced.
HP Notebook - 14-an012nr 14" diagonal HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1366 x 768)
HP Notebook - 14-an013nr 14" diagonal HD SVA BrightView WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)

Why HP would use such a nice display with so little storage is mystery to me.

Only other issue is the AMD E2 CPU. I've used these & they are the worst ever. Much slower than older Intel dual-core cpu's & the USB3.0 is slower than any other computer's USB2.0.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you for all that information. I decided to turn off the MS updates only to find that we really can't do that anymore. Can you suggest a good link which will show me how to do this without screwing up and turning off my updates for my other windows 10 computers? It feels like I'm being hit in the head with a cast iron frying pan.
Yes, I may have a hard head, but it still hurts.... (sigh)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Reaction score
Well, I have managed to get it down to about 23GB at the moment after more deletions and here I will stay until it gets unbearable. I have noted the hard drive and have it in my Amazon.com shopping cart for future purchase when my courage and pocketbook agree with my soul and my confidence. I am not going to close this thread yet because when this elusive purchase takes place, I will surely, once again need your expert advice. I thank you.
Does the hard drive come with specific computer instructions once I get it installed, on how to boot it up correctly, etc.? It was not really clear to me in the video.

Reaction score
If you decide at some point to increase your hard drive, make sure you either create a recovery USB stick (the software for that should be on your laptop (that way you have all the drivers at hand and basically reset the new installation to an out-of-the-box point of time). As well you might back up any files you want to use in the new installation like your documents, photos, music etc.

the second option to install is a download via the media creation tool on a USB stick. The disadvantage on that is you have to look for your drivers but you do not have all that sponsored crap on it that usually comes with a pre-installed operating system.

From my experience, in case you want to increase your hard drive, you should get at least a 64GB, better a 128GB drive, if budget permits of course. If you use the laptop only for surfing and maybe emailing, those drives will be sufficient enough with room to spare...

BTW: I know you tried to clean up the drive that is currently in your laptop but have you by chance done a disc cleaning and clicked on [clean up system files] ?? just asking....

2017-03-25_201106.jpg

Reaction score
Yes, I have always used the clean up system files and other clean up tools. *Trouble* gave me more insight on that as well which I have also used. Appreciated. I have a recovery stick which I made the day I bought it too.
Thanks.

Ask a Question