SOLVED How to reassign a home directory

Reaction score
Hello,

My computer had a glitch and after rebooting it I cannot see my account (enrix) at the login screen. I can login as administrator and I can see that the home directory C:\Users\enrix is there with all its files. I am not very technical and I have read that recreating a new enrix account may overwrite the previous one and may delete files. My question is how can I recreate my enrix account and give it the existing C:\Users\enrix home directory without losing any file?

Many thanks,
enrix

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi enrix welcome to the Forum.

Before doing anything else, it would be wise to log in as Administrator then via File Explorer access the files you wish to preserve in your usual User account and save them to a dvd or some other location.

In the meanwhile, have you at any time seen a message along the lines of Windows is logging you into a temporary profile at any time? If you have then we can walk you through the steps on recovering your profile via the Registry.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
I would suggest that, in the first instance, you click the start icon and, on the left, the cogwheel (settings)
On the following screen, click "Accounts""
What do you see there? Is your account the primary?

Reaction score
Hi All,

Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply. I tried a few things but was not successful and at the end the only thing that worked was to perform a system restore.

thx,

enrix

Ask a Question