How to remove a Windows 10 Debugger

Reaction score
Running a clean install of Windows 10 that was re-loaded about three weeks ago due to a virus issue. For the most part the build appears to be a stable. A few oddities like no camera driver support and no on screen display for microphone, etc that I have since fixed. a WinAmp issue that somehow solved itself.

Note that Dr. Watson was not included in the build of Windows 10 used.

About a week ago I set up a debugger to figure out why a virus program was failing each time it ran. The contents of the dump file were sent to the virus software developers so that they could figure out why the program was abending.

Unfortunately the debugger also picks up other oddities, like some Lenovo procs that load at startup that are compiled with references to newer and older .Net environments. This apparently is a known problem that Lenovo still has not fixed.

Not bad mouthing anyone, but it is annoying that the debugger keeps finding this (and possibly other soft errors) each time the laptop boots. Since the need to debug is not needed now, I can't seem to turn the debugger off. In fact, I inadvertently set up two different debuggers in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers - one in x64 and another in x86

Both these debuggers appear in registry and I want to turn them off so that I don't have this dump occurring continuously.
(as a matter of fact, it even caught Regedit closing when I hit 'Cancel' instead of F3 to find next.)

The virus folks gave me a registry key editor file to pass by registry to turn it off, but it doesn't seem to work, primarily because I think it was intended to update keys associated with Dr. Watson.

The file name they gave me is: "aedebug.reg"

So, after building everyone a watch instead of telling them the time, my question is:

How do I turn the debugger off?

Ask a Question