SOLVED how to remove Photos as default SD card reader

Reaction score
I can not figure out how to remove Photos as my default SD card reader. It is totally useless, does not read my SD card and I think it is what has locked me out of my Photos folder.

Reaction score
When I first plugged an SD card in under Windows 10, I was asked to choose an app to read it. I chose the program "Photos". It immediately searched for every photo in the world except for my SD card, and dumped all photos it found into one large bucket - my many photos are currently sorted into folders by category and use. So besides not reading my SD card, it preformed a totally useless task of collecting all my photos and dumping them unsorted in one place, but I also think it is the culprit that has me locked out of my "My Photos" folder as not having permission to save photos edited in other programs. But if I save them in My Documents, it will allow me to copy and paste them in My Photos if I ask permission. Aggravating and inconvenient.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Start Button -> Settings ->Devices -> AutoPlay -> Memory Card -> Drop down arrow
Open folder to view files (File Explorer)

Reaction score
The choice you listed is not available (Open folder to view files (File Explorer)) for memory card but is for removable drive. I chose windows media player and will see how that works next time. But now I know where that choice is made, thanks.

Reaction score
When I first plugged an SD card in under Windows 10, I was asked to choose an app to read it. I chose the program "Photos". It immediately searched for every photo in the world except for my SD card, and dumped all photos it found into one large bucket - my many photos are currently sorted into folders by category and use. So besides not reading my SD card, it preformed a totally useless task of collecting all my photos and dumping them unsorted in one place, but I also think it is the culprit that has me locked out of my "My Photos" folder as not having permission to save photos edited in other programs. But if I save them in My Documents, it will allow me to copy and paste them in My Photos if I ask permission. Aggravating and inconvenient.
That is absolutely ridiculous, Clinton. I can't import my photos from an SD card. I knew I shouldn't have changed to windows 10. I previously had windows 7 Professional;, far superior to this system. 10 was thrust onto my wife without her permission, so I thought well if that's what they're doing, I cant avoid it. No SD card reader, that is an almighty step backward as far as I am concerned. Windows 10, I give it 3/10

Reaction score
That is absolutely ridiculous, Clinton. I can't import my photos from an SD card. I knew I shouldn't have changed to windows 10. I previously had windows 7 Professional;, far superior to this system. 10 was thrust onto my wife without her permission, so I thought well if that's what they're doing, I cant avoid it. No SD card reader, that is an almighty step backward as far as I am concerned. Windows 10, I give it 3/10
This means I am going to have to buy a cable for my Canon SX20 to import photos. What a stuff up.

Reaction score
What are the files/pictures - jpg?

My preference would be to right click the start button and open the Control Panel.
Select "Default Programs"
"Set your Default Programs"
Scroll down to your preferred viewer and select it as the default.
Alternatively "Associate a file type..etc"

I have not applied any customisation, other than the above, an have not had problems with SD cards - Cameras..etc.

Reaction score
Dave, you have shown me how to get to 'Control Panel', something I did not think possible. Thanks for your tip re: default progs. For those who say you cannot load photos from an SD card, you can ! When you start or go to your desktop, in the bottom right corner, a little message box appears, asking you to tap on it if you wish to use an app. You tap on it, and you can open up the window you had in windows 7 that gives you options of handling your photos and what to do with them, Thank goodness. BUT, you have to be quick on tapping that box in the corner, before it disappears !

Reaction score
LOL. Believe me, my friend, I haven't the slightest idea what function you mention! I have no little boxes popping up for me.
But, tks. Glad to have introduced you to another function. Again, not mentioned by the Microsoft secret service.

Ask a Question