How to Reset Host File

Reaction score
Want to reset my Host File as part of trying to solve a problem Internet Explorer.

Can I use a 'FixIt50267' used for Win 7 after creating a 'old' file of the current Hosts.

System is fully up-dated.

thanks

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You should be able to edit the hosts file in place.
You may have to remove the read only attribute from it in order to do so.
Using notepad
Here is what mine looks like
# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
# 127.0.0.1 localhost
# ::1 localhost
As you can see every line is remarked out by the "#" symbol and no issues with I.E. or any other browser.
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts (no file extension)
In the interest of being extra careful you can always create a backup of the file and name it something like hosts.OLD

Reaction score
Thanks

Although I'm the Administrator, I'm not allowed to save any changes to the host file, even if the attribute is not 'read only' or 'hidden' also 'security' is set for me to make any changes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Dang I hate it when that happens.
I just tried it and found out you were correct, so evidently MS has made a slight change in security.
I had to Take Ownership (explicitly my username) of the ETC folder and child objects. Grant explicitly full control (my username) to the ETC folder and child objects.
I could then delete all the lines in the hosts file and save it. Opened it again and put it back like it was and saved it again.
Then I went back and returned the owner to Trusted Installer (NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller) of the ETC folder and child objects.
What a pain. Formerly you just had to uncheck the Read Only property and you were good to go.

Reaction score
Hi again,

I think I've cracked it.

First make sure it;s not in 'Read Only' status and then run 'Notepad' as Administrator, go as normal to the file and modify it as you wish and then save. It may say the file exists so overwrite it.

And put it back to 'Read Only'.

But as always make sure you have a back-up of the file incase you need to go back.

Ask a Question