How to restore Recent Places still not working

Reaction score
After upgrading to Win 10, I lost the ability to open and save as by clicking on "recent places". When I would click on the "recent Places" it was empty. So I followed this procedure last night and now it comes back with yet a different message which is shown below. This is the procedure I performed https://social.technet.microsoft.co...0-howto-plus-question?forum=win10itprogeneral
So now at least I got to where the list showed three legitimate places.

The PC is no way out of memory as only 5Gb of the 16Gb RAM is in use according to CPU usage gadget.
ANY IDEAS?
win 10 save as insuff mem(062716).jpg

Reaction score
I don't believe "Recent Places" as we knew it in Win 7/8 exist in Windows 10. It is now called "Quick Access"
You may have to turn the "Quick Access" (I did) feature ON.
Click on Start>Settings>Personalization>Start. At the bottom turn ON "Show recently opened items on Start in Jump List or Task Bar", You can also choose which folders appear on Start.

To open Quick access, click on "This PC" on desktop "Quick Access" to show recent files, you can also right click Quick access and pin it to the Start or Task bar.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have seen over and over on Win 10 forums, the comment click on "This PC" on desktop. Honestly I have no such icon anywhere on my desktop and searching produces nothing like THIS PC

Attachments

• TRI141C.jpg
    TRI141C.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 563
Reaction score
p23185 Right click on an empty space on your Desktop > Personalize >Themes > Desltop icon settings and check which icons shortcuts you would like to appear on your desktop and click on OK.

Alternate Left click on Start>Settings>Personalization>Themes and select Desktop Icon Settings choose the icon shortcuts for your desktop and click OK

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what you are looking for:
Open settings - personalisation

Click "Start"
Scroll down to the last item "Show recently..etc" and select.

This will now appear in the top of the start menu.

"This PC" is, basically, the title for opening the full file explorer. I don't think it is, by default, a desktop item.

If you open the file explorer, (It's down in the Windows System folder in the start menu), you will see "This OC" listed in the navigation.
It should, by default, also be sitting in the taskbar - a very simple yellowish square. If you right click it, in either location, you can choose to pin it to the taskbar or start menu as an option. You can, by the same means, drag it to the desktop and create a shortcut.

Ask a Question