How to roll back Windows 10 to Windows 7

Reaction score
Up until about 2 weeks ago I was quite happily operating Windows 7 (home edition, I believe) on my desktop. I have a 64 bit operating system. I woke up one morning to find that Windows 10 appeared to have installed itself. Since then, I have had all sorts of problems:

- I cannot get Word to launch
- every time I launch Google Chrome it asks if I want to restore as it didn't shut down properly, even though I had exited normally
- I cannot open .jpg files
- my printer is not detected
- the start button on my keyboard doesn't work
- the windows/start icon on the toolbar at the bottom does not launch if I click on it with the left mouse button; it does launch when I right click, but most of the start menu items do nothing when I click on them and there is no settings button on the start menu

From what I have read on the internet, it should be a fairly easy thing to roll back to Windows 7- I just need to go to Start and then hit the settings button. My problem is that I don't see the settings button. I have tried to restore it to the start menu, but without success.

Any ideas on how to roll back to Windows 7?

Reaction score
What version of Word are you using? You can probably get a Windows 10 patch from your keyboard manufacturer (my daughter did), Old printer? Check with manufacturer for updated driver. Didn't realize the Settings button was missing. You may have had a bad install. Roll back is possible for 30 days after install. You have to get to Settings though. Look in All Apps under S to find Settings. Once in Settings click on Update and Security then go to Recovery. The option to roll back is there. Once there, you will get the option to upgrade again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
there is no settings button on the start menu

From what I have read on the internet, it should be a fairly easy thing to roll back to Windows 7- I just need to go to Start and then hit the settings button. My problem is that I don't see the settings button. I have tried to restore it to the start menu, but without success.

Any ideas on how to roll back to Windows 7?
Try this
Hold the Windows Logo key down (bottom left of keyboard usually between Ctrl and Alt) while simultaneously striking the R key and in the run dialog box type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
hit enter or click OK.
IF that works then in the left column you should see the option to select "Recovery", which should provide the roll-back option.
I would strongly recommend backing up all critical data as well as creating a disk image to be on the safe side.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Reaction score
Try this
Hold the Windows Logo key down (bottom left of keyboard usually between Ctrl and Alt) while simultaneously striking the R key and in the run dialog box type
ms-settings:windowsupdate
hit enter or click OK.
IF that works then in the left column you should see the option to select "Recovery", which should provide the roll-back option.
I would strongly recommend backing up all critical data as well as creating a disk image to be on the safe side.
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/

Thanks for that, but unfortunately it didn't work. I get a message "The wait operation timed out".

In my previous post, I said that when I right click on the windows/start icon on the toolbar, the start menu would launch.In fact, what actually appears are the following menu items:

Programs and Features
Mobility Center
Power Options
Event viewer
System
Device Manager
Network connections
Disk management
Computer Management
Command prompt
Command prompt (admin)
Task manager
Control panel
File explorer
Search
Run
Shut down or sign out
Desktop

I now realize that this is not what the Windows 10 start menu is supposed to look like. Some of these menu items (Programs and Features, Power Options, System, Device Manager, Network Connections, File explorer and Search) will not launch at all, whether I left click or right click.

Where do I go from here?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Yep, that's what we used to call the SuperUser Menu which I think everyone calls the xMenu, since you can evoke it by holding the Windows Logo key and striking the X key.
Where do I go from here?
I'm not sure.
I think before I panicked and tried anything desperate I would try creating a new user as a member of the administrators group (not a standard users)
Launch the xMenu again and from that menu see if you can launch Command Prompt (Admin)
IF so type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith
See if that provides any relief at all to the issue.

Reaction score
Yep, that's what we used to call the SuperUser Menu which I think everyone calls the xMenu, since you can evoke it by holding the Windows Logo key and striking the X key.

I'm not sure.
I think before I panicked and tried anything desperate I would try creating a new user as a member of the administrators group (not a standard users)
Launch the xMenu again and from that menu see if you can launch Command Prompt (Admin)
IF so type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith
See if that provides any relief at all to the issue.

I was able to successfully create and log in as a new user. However, when my new desktop appeared the following error message popped up (this is the same error message that appeared when Windows 10 initially launched itself 2 weeks ago):

Could not load file or assembly, 'MOM.Implementation, Version=4.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=90ba9c70f846762e' or one of its dependencies. Unspecified error (Exception from HRESULT:0x80004005 (E_FAIL))

I still have the same issues - start menu doesn't launch, etc. etc.

Any idea what the error message means?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
That "MOM.Implementation" error is related to your AMD video card and more specifically to your Catalyst Control Center Software Suite and driver package.
You might try looking to see if AMD has a newer driver available for your specific video adapter.
I typically, would recommend using DDU in Safe Mode http://www.wagnardmobile.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=273#p793
To remove the current driver and then reboot normally to install the latest.

Ask a Question